Popular Sciene Magazine

Discussion in Product Reviews started by thatnewmommy • Jun 7, 2015.

1. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    Is anyone a subscriber to this magazine? We are and I love it.

Although it's "Science" it's not really for scientists or die-hard science fans looking for in-depth technical. But for nerds and Geeks like myself and my partner, it's great. It has an entertaining and informative view on new and cool (I think they are) things going on in the science/tech fields. (one of the latest issues mentioned a designer who GREW her own Fabric). Its articles are easy to understand and entertaining at the same time.

2. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen the title before, but I thought it was "real" scientific. So, it is great to know it is a bit lighter for the average reader. I like the scientific realm, and if it is easy to digest, I can check it out. Thanks for sharing.

3. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    you're welcome. It's really great. One of my favorite covers was the one with Bill Nye in boxing gloves. SO cool.

4. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Many year ago my grandfather had a subscription to Popular Science, so I would occasionally flip through issues when I was at his house. No matter what, there was always something that would pique my interest. These days, because of the Internet, i don't pay much attention to what magazines are still available; I'm glad to hear this one is. It's a good read.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My Dad had a subscription, but I don't. I do follow them on Twitter and Facebook, though, and there are always interesting and informative posts, so I definitely recommend at least keeping an eye on their social media accounts and/or webpage. I like the 'popular' aspect of it, since it's not too technical, and has topics that interest me.

6. FuelThePlane

FuelThePlaneNew Member

Threads:
    I'm a Physics undergraduate student so I tend to shy away from a less technical explanation of any phenomenon. I understand however that this isn't for everyone and that's why magazines such as "popular science" are useful to widen the scope of shared scientific knowledge.

With that said there is one concern with "popsci" magazines, Facebook pages etc... And it's click-bait titles. It is commonplace now for "popsci" publications to take a possible application of something very minute and blowing it up into the next big thing. I would highly encourage any reader of a popular science publication to take some time every now and then and look at the "hard science" of whatever it may be that piqued your interest.

To demonstrate what I mean above I would like to point out that since the conception of science through the scientific method new discoveries that are "field impacting" are generally few and far between. Science is done in tiny increments with each new scientific journal publication slightly increasing a very small pin-prick of the wide body of knowledge that is modern science.

It is definitely nice to see people actively taking an interest in science though! It's excessively exciting and interesting and it makes me happy to see other people sharing my excitement for it.