Portable Laundry

Discussion in Water started by alc89 • Oct 8, 2012.

1. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Hi, all:

Does anyone have any experiences, opinions, or thoughts on portable laundry machines or the Laundry Pod (

I think this is a great way to save money and save water/electricity, but I am not sure if it really is practical. Right now, I live in an apartment building with a communal laundry room. It is never full - so you never have to wait or worry about people taking out your clothes so they can use a machine, etc. And the prices are really not that bad (each wash is $0.75 and each dry cycle is $0.25 - and my old apartment building was $1.75 for a wash and another $1.50 for dry!). I always wait to do a full load of laundry, but what do people think about doing laundry a little bit at a time using a portable laundry machine?

Thanks for all of your thoughts!

2. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it cleans the clothes the way you really want them cleaned. It looks like a giant salad spinner. Sorry I just dont think its worth it. Since its just me at home now, I find it cheaper to drop my clothes at the Laundromat. After buying detergent, bleach, and softener, and lets not forget the time factor.

3. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    You know what - I will have to agree with you. The prices for my building's laundry room are so reasonable that buying something like this isn't worth it. I would (maybe) understand buying something like the Laundry Pod (which does look more and more like a salad spinner now that you say it!) if I had a newborn - lots of little clothes that don't quite justify a laundry load. I've looked into real portable laundry machines, but for the price - it honestly isn't worth it. Plus, I would guess that by the time you do a few loads, the savings don't really come out to very much either. The only time I can think of this really working for someone is if they do not have easy access to a laundromat of any kind.

4. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I think that a portable washing machine like a laundry pod would be great for people who live in apartments where there is no laundry service which is provided, and I've found out that there are many apartments like these in New York or students who are boarding at college. Not only is the laundry pod eco-friendly but it's convenient and it's economical to use. I actually like the product.

5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I could not get the website to open, but I think that a small portable washer is a great way to save on both money, electricity, and water, especially if it is only 1-2 people that it is being used for, although they are also awesome for doing baby diapers if you are using cloth diapers.
    I used to have a small Hoover portable machine that simply rolled up to the sink and attached with a hose. I could reuse the wash water, since I did the white clothes first, then the coloreds, and lastly, the dark clothes, or the dirtiest ones.
    It would spin the clothes out until they were almost dry, so it just took a few minutes in the dryer, and by the time I had the next load washed, the first ones were usually dry.

6. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    I actually had one of these and they work pretty good! You can't wash a lot at one time with it, but the clothes come out really clean. The way it works is by building up pressure with the hot water and the spinning motion, and it "forces" the water through the clothes. If I were by myself in an apartment, I would probably buy another one.

7. iagirl

iagirlMember

Threads:
    When I lived in an apt I had a portable washer and dryer and it worked great. The dryer was on a rack and the washer slid in below it, like the stackable ones only separate. The washer hooked up to the sink and the dryer plugged in to a regular outlet. The washers and dryers in the building were horrible and expensive so it saved me tons of money.