Potato Peel Soup?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Sep 3, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you throw out potato peels?

I've just learned that potato peels can be used with other vegetables to make potato peel soup. To be honest I don't know how that soup would taste that but I think I'm going to give this recipe a try and once I found out how good [or bad] the potato peel soup tastes, decide whether the potato peels are thrown out or used as ingredient [which would save me some money].

For those of you interested, here's the recipe:

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely ever peel mine - however on the times that I do - I would never ever discard them - as apart from the fact that potato skins are loaded with nutrients - there are plenty of healthy tasty options for putting them to good use and although I generally use them combined with other vegetables for making stock or a thick winter soup similar to the one mentioned here.

My favorite way of using potato peelings is crispy potato skin fries - which if you would like to try them - is easily done in one of two ways - either by

simply placing the peels on a baking tray with a bit of olive oil - sprinkle with a favorite seasoning such as paprika, chili, cayenne or garlic and then roast in the oven for around 20 -30 minutes - depending on how crispy you want them to be
    or
    prior to putting the peelings on the baking tray - put them all in a bowl - toss in your favorite dressing or seasoning until well coated and then proceed as before

whichever way you choose - the end result is a totally delicious snack that resembles a cross between a french fry and a potato chip.

I would just add that - huge savings can be made on groceries - just by getting creative with all kitchen scraps rather than discarding them - especially as not only is the majority of what is thrown out perfectly edible -but there are literally hundreds and hundreds of different ways to turn leftover vegetable and fruit scraps into inexpensive healthy snacks or meals.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bet that recipie would be pretty nutritious as we have been told all of the nutrients are in the peel. I have been peeling potatoes less and less because A. it is work and B. the peels are more nutritious and add fiber. I think that is a really interesting idea. I know people who peel potatoes usually use them as compost for the garden.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The recipe looks more like a stock, which you could use to make soup with, rather than a soup in its own right. It would make a great starting point for potato and leek, vegetable and lentil soups. I bet it is full of goodness too.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never peel my potatoes. I like the rich, earthy taste of their skin. In fact, potatoes would taste rather bland to me if it wasn't for their skin. But it never occurred to me to make a soup solely out of the peels. I think it could taste rather nice in combination with miso and perhaps a bit of seaweed. I'll have to check it out sometimes.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bet it tastes good! I mean, that's where all the goodness and nutrients are, so the soup should be nice. I've eaten potatoes with skin on and they taste great. I'm not a huge fan of soup though. I'd love to try roasting the potato peel with a little olive oil and seasoning because I've heard that that's good. Thanks for posting though, @Denis Hard@Denis Hard :)

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't peel my potatoes either, when I make fries the skin is on them. But I do want to give the baked potatoe skins a try as a snack. I prefer to have homemade snacks for the family they are healthier and cheaper.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if you are getting much of the nutrients from the skins if you are ultimately discarding the skins once the stock is done cooking - unless perhaps you reserved the boiled skins yet again and perhaps ran them through a food processor and added them back into the stock, but that may thicken it up a bit too much. I believe in order to get the fiber and other good stuff from the skins you have to actually eat them entirely.

Incidentally I just made some potato soup this afternoon in my pressure cooker. It was a dead simple recipe, and you could certainly leave the skins on when making it too. Just chop up some potatoes (about 1/2 " dice) and add them to the pot, along with some corn starch (about a couple tablespoons), chopped scallions (or leave them whole if you want to fish them out later), and chicken stock. Pressure cook it for about 12 minutes, then mash some of the soup a bit to make it creamy and stir in some cheddar cheese (about a cup) until it's all blended. The green onions don't look so great after they've cooked, they become kind of grey-ish green, which is why I suggested possibly leaving them whole and removing them - you could always garnish the soup with some fresh green onions afterwards.

I would prefer to eat potatoes unpeeled more often, but unfortunately most of the time when I go to cook with potatoes, they almost always have dark rotted spots and have begun sprouting - I can't eat those with the skin on, it grosses me out, so I keep peeling away until all that stuff is removed.