Potato plants - slug repellant

Discussion in Home & Garden started by bargainhunter • Jun 13, 2013.

1. bargainhunter

bargainhunterMember

Threads:
    I'm currently growing some potatoes in buckets out in my yard. Recent good weather has made for good growth so far but two days of rain has brought out the slugs. Rather than get up at 6 am every day to pick them away from my crop, does anybody have a natural way of keeping slugs at bay? Salt will melt away and I don't fancy paying for slug repellent so any tips are welcome.

2. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure you can look it up online and get the answer you're looking for. That's interesting that you're growing potatoes in a bucket! Hope all turns out well. I could try this, sounds like an easy way get started gardening.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    You could try the old fashioned method of pouring some beer into a tin foil pie pan. My mom used to do this years ago for her potato plants and it works really well. She used the really small pie pans so she could put down quite a few of them. She would place them underneath the leaves so if it did rain, they wouldn't overfill or get diluted. The slugs are attracted to the beer, climb in for a drink and then can't get out. If you have really large slugs, you may want to try this with a deeper type of foil pan like a bread pan. Because the tins are disposable, you can throw the whole thing away with the slugs or dump them out and reuse them several times. Good luck!