Powdered Milk Anyone?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by remnant • Apr 27, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    There was a time we used powdered milk and the particular brand of preference was called Safariland. Nowadays we buy milk from vendors but I feel that its time to switch back to powdered milk since it doesn't spoil and its concentration allows for more cups of tea therefore saving money. It is also safe since it cannot be adulterated. Any thoughts?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am usually at home the majority of the time and go out to the store a few times a month, since it's not all that convenient. I do keep some powdered milk on hand for when I need it in recipes, or even with cereal, when I get the random craving. I also keep a few containers or liquid milk on hand for the same purpose. It's shelf stable, and is even easier to use than the powdered, since it's all made up and ready to go. Here's a picture of the shelf-stable milk. I think the one on the right is the brand I've got on hand now.

Attached Files:

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like the taste of powdered milk. I wish I did since it's generally fairly cheap. It's okay for cooking or baking some things, but I could never drink it or put it on cereal. Admittedly, it's been some time since I've tried it, so it may have improved some over time. I don't know.

I do keep canned milk on hand during the winter, in case we get ice storms and can't get out. I add some water to it, because it's pretty concentrated. It too is better for cooking and stuff, but I could stand it on cereal in a pinch.

I don't see containers like the ones in your image in our local store. I'll have to see if Walmart or some other store has the shelf-stable kind.

How does it compare price wise to the others?

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't currently have any powdered milk, but it is good to use in an emergency and some people bake with it. I might buy some more, because there is a Wendy's Frosty copycat recipe you make using powered milk. So, I think it has it's merits. It would be something I would have to remember to buy though, because it certainly is not on my regular shopping list.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also do not like the taste of dry milk. I try to keep it on hand for baking, I don't use it often but I do try to keep some on hand in case of an emergency since spoilage is not an issue with dry milk.

6. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    I use powdered milk when I'm making pancakes and waffles. They also make milk doesn't need to refrigerated until it's opened. I keep those on hand too.

7. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have powdered milk on hand but it is always an afterthought for me. I don't like the taste of it either. Maybe because as shown in @Diane Lane@Diane Lane's photo it is 1%.

I know that is has good health benefits without having the fat content as regular milk which is why I keep it on hand It will come in handy when my grand babies are off the formula.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I specifically buy the brand of powdered milk made by Nestle called Nido because it is full fat dried milk, not nonfat like most dry milk. I use it in recipes so that I can reserve the gallon of milk in my fridge for drinking.
    When a recipe calls for two cups of milk, it seems extravagant to use 2 cups from a gallon of milk that I just paid almost $5 for. But keeping a can of powdered milk around just for cooking saves me money and I always have it on the shelf when I need it.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I forgot to look when I was at the store for powered milk, but one thing I am noticing is that alot of the weight watchers recipes are calling for powdered peanut butter. I am not sure if they sell that at the grocery store, but I will investigate. I have seen a lot of delicious recipes that call for ingredient. I will be on a mission on my next store trip.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's been a long time since I've seen powdered milk. We used to buy powdered milk that we drink for breakfast. But when the milk cartons came into fashion, we shifted our loyalty because the fresh milk in cartons tastes like real fresh milk although I know it has some preservatives. Cowhead is our brand which is imported from Australia.

But we sometimes buy powdered milk when we make polvoron, that dessert which has sugar and butter with powdered milk as base.

11. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Yup powdered milk is best for regular use and you can use any good brand, that will save your time, money and you can use anytime. :D

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember when I was growing up, my mum used to get some powdered milk and I didn't much care for it. It Nestle's Nespray and was very widely used here at the time. I don't like milk at the best of times, but I don't like powdered milk even more. To me, it doesn't really taste like milk. The only type of 'milk' I have in powder form is my coffee creamer.

13. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that powdered milk is a great thing to buy if people don't drink a lot of milk, as you're able to simply store it in the cupboard while it's not being used, and then dip into it as and when you need to. It's great as it means that you're never throwing out milk that you haven't had the time to use. I know that it doesn't taste quite the same, but I honestly think that it is good enough for what I need it for.

14. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Powdered milk is something I always keep on hand for a few reasons...the first is that most of the time, I can find it cheaper than regular milk. Second, it doesn't really spoil, so it lasts longer. Third, it is great to use as coffee or tea creamer. The most important reason I keep it on hand is to cook with. I don't like the taste of powdered milk to put on cereal or just have a glass of milk, but I cook a ton with milk. I use milk in so many recipes that I found myself always running out of milk because some of my recipes in my regular rotation use a full two cups as an ingredient. However, I can make powdered milk and use it in a recipe and it turns out the exact same without altering the taste. Also, my significant other doesn't mind drinking powdered milk and he is slightly lactose intolerant. I used to buy the lactose free milk for him but it is so expensive that it really isn't in our budget. However, even though the powdered milk does have lactose, it seems to bother his stomach less than regular milk.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It has been a long time since I drank powdered milk, but I'm cool with how it tastes. Nowadays we also only buy milk that's in a carton, since it's more convenient and easy to consume.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually love powder milk. I love to create a paste with it and put on some powdered chocolate, it tastes amazing and it's really good for when you need a dessert and don't have any at hand. You would only add a little bit of sweetener or sugar and you have yourself a nice chocolate cream. Of course it's not the healthiest thing, but it does beat the sugar craving when you need it.
    I rarely use it for an actual milk replacement, if I'm actually drinking milk, I prefer the liquid one. The powder one does not taste like actual milk.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We don't store this product anymore but it is my preferred type of milk as I find it a lot tastier. I don't think it's as healthy as regular milk though but I'm not that sure as I've never looked into it. Although to be fair I'm not exactly sure that even that is entirely healthy anyway as from what I heard studies are still being done on whether or not drinking cow's milk is really that good for us. Either way, I think powdered milk is a pretty good product and surely is much better than any other powdered drink out there like juices or chocolate drinks.

18. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We used to buy powdered milk when I was still young. To be honest, I despised milk when I was younger and even drinking that powdered milk was a nightmare for me. Lol. As time passed by, I grew used to it but then we switched to fresh liquid milk and never looked back.

I haven't even purchased powdered milk for myself since I got married. And guess what? My son never liked it as well, we have tried Enfalac, Nido, Pediasure, Bear Brand... Almost every powdered milk brand here and he never liked one of them.

I breastfed him so it's not much of a problem before... But now, I'm thinking about weaning him off. However, he still won't drink any of these powdered milk brands. He drinks fresh milk though, those in little cartons. I don't know if that's enough for him though. I cannot seem to find whole milk in our local supermarket.

As others have said, powdered milk is great for cooking and baking. But we don't really drink it as is, sometimes we will mix it with our coffee too, if we don't have creamer anymore. That's about it really, but we don't drink it on its own.

19. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really like any type of milk. Since I don't like the regular gallon milk I decided to try powdered milk to see if it was any good. Unfortunately, I did not like it, it made me gag. Milk is just not for me. I still have the powdered milk since I'm not sure what to do with it. I wonder if it would work in baking recipes or for DIY facial treatments...

20. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    When we were in a hard spot financially, I tried powdered milk. I found that I really didn't like the taste and my son would not drink it. However, I did use it for baking which helped to stretch the store bought milk.