Power Banks: I Don't Get It

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by TommyVercetti • Mar 5, 2015.

1. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Does anybody else think that power banks are redundant? Why not just get an extra battery instead? It's just charging a battery with another battery.

Looking at it from an electrical point of view: Power banks have to give A LOT of current to charge a battery, which isn't really good, because:

• certain kinds of batteries are good for high current output but have short lives(used by powerbanks)
    • others are low-output but last for far longer and has more cycles (batteries you use for your phone, laptop, etc.)
    Just take recharging out of the equation and buy multiple batteries! Now you'll have all the power you need just like if you had bought a power bank, but your batteries will last longer.

Is replacing the batteries really that hard? (sorry, iPhone and iPad users, I know you don't have this option.)

Thoughts?

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Not all phones have multiple batteries though, like the iPhone and the upcoming Galaxy S6. Personally I don't own a Powerbank as well, I make sure to charge my phone to full battery before I sleep so that it can last me throughout the day. Careful use of the phone, closing non-essential apps and running it in power-saving mode (Android) typically lasts me around 12 hours, which is more than enough for my average workday.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most phones don't have removable batteries nowadays as manufacturers focus upon slimming down phones, which removes the removable battery option. Plus, people always seem to misunderstand the benefit of removable batteries. Most people don't carry a second battery around with them. After the lithium battery starts degrading after 1,000 discharges, then swapping out the battery makes a device like new again, and the device doesn't have to be sent back to the manufacturer.

Power banks have their place, but people that use them need to find a better device with a bigger battery to match their consumption.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think they are good for when you are on the road or camping. I have a friend who has an RV and if she has no power, then the power bank can keep her phone going until she finds a power source.

Having spare batteries isn't always practical and in the case of iPods, you need a charger. I think they are useful as a standby especially when you travel or are out all day, but people shouldn't rely on the power and should switch off things when they don't use them.

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm deciding whether to purchase a powerbank or an extra battery as well but I think I'll go with a powerbank. See, when you have a power bank, you can charge the powerbank and the phone simultaneously thus saving you time. But if you just purchase an additional battery, you can't charge the phone and the extra battery simultaneously unless you purchase another device. You'll have to charge the two batteries one at a time. That's why I go for a power bank.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree, I've never really thought of power banks as that much handy or useful unless for emergencies maybe. They are bulky and like you said if you are bringing around that much extra baggage then might as well just get an extra battery instead. I think it's more for phones that can't be disassembled though and maybe for some they prefer it to turning off the phone and having to mess around with it each time their batteries run out.

7. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Well, for me powerbanks is very useful and handy especially during emergencies. You must not limit the use of powerbanks to charging phones only. Aside from phones, you can also charge your camera tablet and your laptop to name a few. I always carry with me my ever reliable powerbank whenever I go out of the house to make sure my phone and camera won't run out of batteries. I've got this really very handy powerbank that is capable of charging two devices all at the same time.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Power banks are useful although yes, they still cost you energy and your utility bill. The thing with power banks though is that they function like solar cells and are mobile, meaning you can bring them with you anywhere you go. They store up energy so that you can tap them whenever the need arises. Unlike solar cells which get their energy from the sun, power banks get theirs from normal charging, the way you would a cellphone.

9. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    My phone actually doesn't have a removable battery so it make no difference to have a spare battery.
    Power banks are good for the short term when you don't have access to a power source and you need your phone but they aren't a reliable long term option for keeping your phone charged.
    My battery lasts a pretty good while, I don't use my phone heavily so it lasts about 2 days at the least and if I am lucky I can get another 15 hours after it hits 20% battery life.
    If you take measures to preserve your battery you don't really have to worry about fast discharging though.

10. Jxhn

JxhnNew Member

Threads:
    I think that most people fail to realize that they may be causing more harm than good through the use of power banks. Most people do not buy brand name power banks and don't do enough research on the proper output that is needed to charge their phone. As a result, people are killing the efficiency of their phone's battery. This is why if you are interested in a power bank, please do some research and only buy from well recognized companies like Duracell.

11. spikerfreelancer

spikerfreelancerNew Member

Threads:
    My biggest suggestion is to try and be flexible with this. Yes, both packs and extra batteries have their merits. Why not go for the solar pack to recharge your extra batteries? You still have both options and the solar kit doesn't even cost as much as a lot of the replacement batteries?

12. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    You can't predict the unpredictable though. Power banks come in handy when you have to go in a trip the very next day and you didn't think about buying an extra battery that you may use whenever. I personally have both power bank and extra battery, so I can be double assured. They come in handy in a 3-day trip in the mountains, when things get veeery boring and you just want to listen to some music.
    Cheers! ;)

13. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I think powerbanks can be really useful especially if you're on the road but i personally don't own one. I know a friend who owns a powerbank but he keeps complaining that the phone charges really slow that when you're using it while charging, the powerbank wouldn't be able to keep up and your phone will just die on you. lol I don't know if he's joking or what but i heard mostly bad reviews about it.

14. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think power banks are a really useful invention but I'd estimate that the majority of people have no real need for one. They are a great item to have as part of a back-up plan whilst travelling though.

15. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    I think that it all comes down to the fact power banks are cheaper than actual batteries, so people just buy them instead. It completely makes sense to me, so that's why I've recently been interested into buying my own one, too. Redundant? Not that much. They are actually quite of a nice addition to the smartphone cosmetics market I'd say.