Power Outage

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Adeal4u • May 13, 2012.

1. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I was running my microwave and my toaster at the same time and the power went out. I was wondering if the circuit went out, or what because this never happened before? Has this happened to anyone else?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    If you loose some but not all of your power, odds are it was the circuit that went out. If your toaster and microwave are both plugged into the same outlet, that may have been what happened. I try to only plug in one appliance per outlet in my kitchen because I had this happen to me many years ago. It is just a habit that I have now!

3. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    It probably was the circuit. It always happens to me too whenever I have the rice cooker and microwave going at the same time. It also doesn't help that I live in an older house either. Some of the electric outlets just does not support all the stuff going on at once. So, basically I have to make sure I only have one thing plugged at a time in a particular outlet or I have to use separate ones.

And you shouldn't fret. It happens all the time.

4. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    Our problem was always my blow dryer and the heat lamps in the bathroom. While most of the time it is just too much going on at the same time, in our case there was a problem. We ended up finding out there was a short in my blow dryer which was causing a surge in the power. It might not hurt to check the appliances to make sure that all is working well with them. You haven't noticed them surging or working funny at all, right? If not, you should be okay!

5. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    Just your microwave and toaster alone should not provide enough of a surge that it'd completely knock out the power for your house, however, have you tried running them both separately to see if there could be a problem with either one of the appliances on their own?

6. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds like too much power was being drawn at once and it tripped the circuit breaker. If you have older wiring that can happen. Microwaves and toasters both pull a lot of power. If it happens again, you may need to get the line checked, or plug them in to different plugs.

7. ValerieAnne

ValerieAnneMember

Threads:
    It's happened to me before, since those are the only things that went out, it just meant a circuit went out. :)

8. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I tried to run them separately and they're fine. I think my circuit is the older model. I want to get a better circuit board, so it can handle more power from appliances. It also happens when I run the electric heater and the microwave. They just draw too much power, I'm in the process of finding a new microwave that drains less power.

9. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    It's definitely due to a circuit going out. I've had the same experiences in my kitchen when I tried working the oven and microwave at the same time from the same socket. No power in the kitchen till my folks came home about 4 hours later to show me where the circuit breaker is.