Practicality of Travel Insurance

Discussion in Travel Insurance started by vida_llevares • Nov 4, 2012.

1. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    Hi.

I have planned out several international trips for next year.

I am just curious. Is it really practical to get travel insurance? It really costs a lot so I just want to make sure that it will be of value to me.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    How much does it cost you?

How long are you going to be gone?

And what are you going to be doing while you're there?

For example, if you plan to go skiing or something that could potentially be risky, then definitely get it. It's worth the extra cost for 'just in case'. Also check to see what your current insurance allows for injuries outside of the country you live.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Travel insurance will also cover you if you aren't able to travel. If something should happen, then you receive the cost of the trip. Is the insurance expensive relative to the cost of your international travel expenses? Only you can decide if it's worth it. Sometimes, though, it's better to be safe than sorry.

4. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    Usually your airline carrier will have some sort of generic travel insurance and that does not cost much if you just want to be sure and not sorry. Also review your existing insurance plan. There must be something there in case you meet an accident or meet some other such incident while in another country.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is more than practical to get travel insurance. Travel insurance minimizes the financial and health risks you may meet while travelling. Every time you travel, you invest a lot of money. At times, you pay trips in advance and there's no guarantee all those expenses can be recovered. Travel insurance lets you insure non-refundable payments so that you'll be reimbursed immediately for your financial losses. If you frequently travel abroad, all the more reason to get travel insurance. Nothing is more risky than getting sick or injured in a foreign land that does not speak English or in a language you're familiar with. Medical fees there could be very expensive. With

, your medical woes are covered.

6. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely agree with what @xTinx@xTinx said. The cost of travel insurance could be high but the benefits outweigh the cost of preparing for just in case something unexpected happens while you're traveling. This counts most specially if you're a frequent traveler and if you travel to highly risky areas. It still pays to prepare than to have nothing to lean on to when bad things happen.

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, travel insurance looks costly but compared to what it buffers against, it is a saving. So many things can go wrong during travel especially to a foreign country. For instance, your flight might be cancelled or your bags containing emergency medication lost. Other reasons are when you need to cancel a trip due to illness and a medical emergency in a foreign country.

8. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Travel insurance doesn't cost that much when you compare it to the benefits it offers. They usually package travel and health insurance together, and that is a great thing.

If you're travelling to Europe or something, make sure you get comprehensive travel insurance because the costs of getting out are higher. If you're travelling to Africa or something, make sure you get medical benefits and other such things covered.

Here are a few scenarios and how health insurance helps:

What if you fall ill or get hurt?

I mean think about it, if you're stuck in some foreign country without insurance and you fall ill or something, you may not have enough cash to cover the costs. Plus, there are also other benefits. For example, they'll fly one of your family members out if needed or they'll fly you back in if something goes wrong.

What if you lose your travel card and all your belongings? Get mugged or something?

They'll provide you a way to get some cash in your hands, which can be a boon, believe me.

What if you need to get evacuated?

No one who was stuck during the Tsunami or during the Nepal earthquake or the Egyptian revolution had a way of predicting those events. And I don't think anyone even imagined Brussels coming under attack. If you were one of the unlucky ones who lost everything and needed to get evacuated, insurance would have helped you get back on track.

You can compare insurances. And you can get discounts if you are travelling in groups of (say)10.