Prego Alfredo Sauce

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Amanda K • Oct 7, 2014.

1. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    It's delicious. Since we are stretching our food budget, we eat a lot of pasta. I get tired of spaghetti. Fettucine alfredo with grilled chicken (or faux chicken in my case) makes a great and inexpensive meal. I toss in some steamed bagged vegetables to make it "primavera" and a little more balanced. We can buy this at Big Lots and have a hearty meal for around $6 for the two of us. There are even leftovers. I even like the Prego better than the fancier canned sauces I have tried.

2. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I have used Prego before, but it wasn't Alfredo sauce. I usually get it from my local store for around $2.99. I try to get it when it's on sale. It does work pretty well for sauce. I tend to get tired of spaghetti too so I will use noodles and use the sauce with it.

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Oh god...I admit this is one area where I'm a bit of a food snob but I definitely could not get behind Alfredo from a jar, Prego or otherwise. It's not hard to make your own and it makes such a huge difference, in my opinion. We do a lot of pasta too, though, and a lot of experimenting with different sauces and toppings.

4. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I have been going back and forth on this for a while. :) I have never tried it but it looks good. I see it at the store but never really asked anyone if they tried it. Thanks for giving us this review. I'm definitely going to give this a try. I get tired of tomato sauce too and this kind of changes things up a little. :) Always looking for something new!!

Thank you again!

Danyel :)

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I also am a bit of a pasta sauce snob simply because it's so easy to make sauce quickly. Try it next time! It's simply butter, parmesan cheese, half and half, salt and pepper. You can also get the creaminess with milk and cream cheese, if you don't have half and half. I love adding garlic to mine.

If you buy the ingredients it costs a bit more but it will also make two batches instead of one so it evens out. Save the other half for the following week.

6. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    Haha, JessiFox, you can send your home cooking my way! I'm sure it is better than Prego in the can. My son is still going through a phase where he will not be put down, period. So, I have to hold him or wear him at all times. Anything that requires a lot of hot or stirring is out of the question right now. My microwave is going to pack up in the night and run away from overwork, lol. I can talk my partner into boiling water after a long day at work, but that's about all he's going to do. If you add some parmesan and a little bit of black and red pepper, it's really not bad. I say this as a person who was a food snob in my former pre-kid life.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I like Prego quite a bit, they are definitely on my good list for pasta sauces. I believe my favorite Alfredo sauce is actually Bertoli, but I do like Prego as well. Prego makes some very good marinara sauce and spaghetti sauce too. I haven't eaten pasta in a long time since I went gluten free. I wish the gluten free pastas were more affordable, but they are pretty spendy at the stores where I shop.

8. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I like Prego Alfredo sauce too. But if you went gluten free, then do what I do: I put pasta sauce on top of rice. Or there is something new that slices up your veggies so that they are the shape of pasta noodles. (You can find this in the Harriet Carter catalog). Also, there is the 'spaghetti squash' that really does work like pasta. You cook up the squash and then put the sauce on top. I find that most of us really like the sauce and could care less about the carbs that we put it on. You can also top a potato with it...okay I'm going to go eat dinner now. I just made myself hungry!

9. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I love squash, H. C. Heartland! If you don't have the fancy gadget that turns everything into pasta shapes, how do you cut the spaghetti squash? My partner doesn't eat enough veggies, so I have to "disguise" them. This sounds like a useful tactic.

10. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'd send some your way, for sure ;). Hah...I understand, kids can complicate home cooking, especially when they're so little. I'm lucky that my husband loves cooking just as much, if not more, than I do, so even when our son was younger and keeping us busy almost constantly we could still do a lot of home cooking. I understand the convenience, though.

11. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I like the Prego sauce with the bacon bits. But for the regular Alfredo I prefer Bertolli. I read online Bertolli also had a bacon sauce but I've never seen it in stores here. I don't know a lot about cooking to make my own sauce.