Premium TV channels

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Gelsemium • May 9, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you have any premium TV channels? I find that they are very expensive so I can't really afford any of them right now. If any of you is paying, why do you do it, what do you want so bad in those channels that make you pay extra?

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't want to pay extra for that since I'm not really a TV guy. But my point is, there are a lot of great alternatives to these "premium" channels and most of them (premium channels) aren't really worth the extra buck. But if people can afford it and they want it then it's cool.

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any premium channels either, not only are they super expensive, I'm just interested in a couple of shows they have anyway so I can easily get those shows from an alternative source.

4. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    We don't. We do, however, have HBOGo and the like on our Roku. My fiancee uses her mother's cable information (with her permission) to get it. It's a little bit of a grey area, but even the CEO of HBO has gone on record saying that he doesn't mind password sharing.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I would not pay for something that I find expensive and not much of a great use. I don't watch TVs, I only do very rarely. So, it's not practical that I avail premium channels. It would be for me waste of money. Besides there are online streamings available nowadays, where I can watch only very specific shows. Pay here is far much cheaper.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, I was expecting this sort of answers here because if we are here on dontpayfull we are trying to save money and not spend it. My dad has a lot of premium channels and I find insane how he considers that money well spent, I guess he just has too much.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We do have premium channels but it's mainly my mom that watches it. Although I do watch a few shows on occasion when I'm eating or (very rarely) need to step away from the computer but they're mostly just reruns that you can't get on the basic cable. It's the lowest premium though. The only extra movie channel we get is Starz and that is because Comcast gave it to us as a token for their poor service. Wow don't hurt yourself but alas consider the source.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, parents allow themselves to a level of comfort we cannot, I think that's mainly because their available income drastically raises when we (kids) move out of their place. So far raising two small kids I can't afford this sort of luxuries.

9. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have two premium channels, and I am planning on dropping them because I don't watch enough to justify the cost. My boyfriend gets every single premium channel, I consider it so wasteful and think if he put a little effort in he could probably find the shows online for a fraction of the price. His cable bill is absurd!

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, it's crazy that some people pay so much money for cable, but the fact it, if they are paying it it's because they can. Just yesterday I was at my parents and sure it was convenient to sit the couch and to watch the ATP Rome final between Djokovic and Nadal, but I would not pay for it at my place because I can't.

11. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I do not subscribe to ANY premium channels because I have no interest in any of them. The ones we get here are either for football teams I don't like, religious channels, or hobby channels I have no interest in. If I did have an interest I would happily part with £10 a month to each them.

12. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's why every sports event should be available through pay-per-view in my opinion.
    You wouldn't pay the monthly subscription but you would probably spend $5-$10 or so to watch that game, right?
    It would be more convenient and they would get more business.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I agree with that for sure Strykstar, but on the other hand that would ruin the premium channels business because most people would not pay for a monthly subscription because for a smaller value they would be able to select just the programs they wish.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never paid for any TV channels in the past when I still had a TV. If I want to see a movie, I go to the cinema. If there are any documentaries that I am interested in, I can usually find them online, and as for the news, I can access them anywhere from my phone. So I don't see the need for paid channels at all. For me it would be a waste of money and time.

15. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know about other countries, but here in the UK sporting events that are considered of national importance (England national football matches, cup finals, big racing events, big English rugby games, Wimbledon tennis tournament) have to be available on free TV, which I'm all for. :)

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, that happens in my country too, but that is pretty much what you refer to only and we are talking about games on TV and I was referring to watching live matches. Sure, watching them on TV is cool, but watching live is something completely different, we get another vibe and another feel when we are there in person.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have the premium movie channels because I'm not willing to pay more just to see recent movies. My cable comes out to about $50 a month and I'm not willing to spend more than that.
    There's more to life than watching TV.

18. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't have any premium channels. I wouldn't really watch them that much, so I just can't justify the expense. I am willing to wait until the shows I'm interested in make it to a service like Netflix, Amazon Video or Hulu. Eventually, the DVDs are available at the library so I could even borrow them for free.

19. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think that premium tv channels are a luxury that we can afford or not. For example, I am right now looking online to watch Federer vs Ferrer and I am watching it with poor quality, while I could be seeing it with all the comfort on TV if I had paid for it.