Prepaid Phone or Plan Phone???

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by tspires2 • Dec 10, 2013.

1. tspires2

tspires2Member

Threads:
    I have switched to a prepaid iPhone with Verizon to save some money. I am wondering if that was the best thing to do? Now I don't get free phones with upgrades, however I am no longer in a contract and paying less for the same plan. The second biggest turn off with my prepaid plan is they deactivated my hotspot feature. I use this feature a lot! I don't really want to go back to a contract just for that reason, however that is a big issue for me. The service itself seems to be the exact same. No issues of dropped calls, missing texts, loss on internet connection on phone. Everything else works perfect! Which do you prefer?

2. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    I got sick and tired of being on a plan. Most places want you to sign a contract. If you have a bad month or two, then you will get slammed with all kinds of fees. It can get pretty expensive. I use a prepaid phone. I get everything unlimited for about $50 a month, and if I have a bad month I don't have to worry about getting a bunch of extra fees added to my bills!

3. tspires2

tspires2Member

Threads:
    That is the main reason I switched! I got sick and tired of being forced to pay a ton of extra money and all the changes with no notice! We were grandfathered in for unlimited text message, well then text messages started using data so our grandfathered in plan soon because useless as then we were paying for additional data so we could use our unlimited test messages. It just seemed like one thing after another to cost more! I have the same phone with the same plan for 1/2 the price! Crazy how things work!

4. FloraFauna

FloraFaunaMember

Threads:
    I'm currently on a contract that should run out in the spring or summer, I forget. I'm considering switching over to prepaid to save money. I feel like my phone usage is so low that it doesn't merit paying all of that money. I'm just over the hassle of a contract.

5. AngryItalian

AngryItalianMember

Threads:
    With all the prepaid services getting stronger, and the american incomes getting weaker I believe contract plans will grow obsolete and drop in numbers dramatically. This will result in a takeover of hardware by the Pre-paid companies, and will strengthen them making them a better service at the better price. It is great for people starting out. A couple will not need a plan, its only families that will need the plan.

6. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Getting a prepaid phone is making more and more sense.

You can even get a iPhone on a prepaid plan now. This is great as most people are paying tons of money for services they don't even use that much.

7. AskJeeves

AskJeevesMember

Threads:
    Although a Prepaid phone does give you the option of having a cheap plan, the actual plan for a phone gives you a lot more options in terms of what you get. I am currently on a plan and it is fairly cheap. However, having prepaid phone is much cheaper and it is pretty tempting. At times, I feel like switching over.

8. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I have T-Mohile, which I am on the plan but without a contract. It is not a prepaid plan either because T-Mohile has introduced a no-contract plan in which I can make the switch anytime I want. I am no longer in a contract, plus I have unlimited data, calling, and texting. I do see the two big mobile carriers are doing the same thing like T-Mohile offers.

9. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    What plan are you on? Or should I say, what company are you using?

We used to have AT&T iPhone 3's. For my husband and I (and mine wasn't an unlimited plan) we paid close to $150 a month. We didn't have texting. (That would have added another $10.) Outrageous.

A cousin gave us two old iPhone 4's on the Verizon network. We switched to "Page Plus Wireless" which is pre-paid/contract-free. We upped our data, he has unlimited talk/text, and I have more minutes and texts than I can ever use, and we cut our bill from $150 to $70.

For an $80 savings each month, we can afford to pay full freight when it comes to getting new phones. But with the way we both upgrade technology, we'll probably wait it out and get something used again for cheaper.

This was a no-brainer for us. We also have the wireless hot-spot feature. Not sure why yours took that away.

10. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I have had both actually. I had a contract with Verizon and a prepaid plan with them. I'm currently with Straight Talk. I liked the fact that I could upgrade my phone over time with a contract and I could use my phone as a hotspot but my bill was high. With prepaid, my bill is so cheap and I have unlimited everything but my phone is slightly slower and can't be used as a hotspot. So, both have their pros and cons.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently discovered that T-Mobile changed its plans. I currently have Virgin Mobile's prepaid service. I really don't have any complaints about the service. My only concern is that they don't have the high end Android phones. T-Mobile does which is why I'm really thinking about making the switch.

12. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    I too feel prepaid as my best option as it comes with best plans is economic too. Could you tell me which network is the best besides all the deals?

13. apple1989

apple1989Member

Threads:
    I've only been into postpaid plan once and I must say it sucks big time. Not only are there hidden charges, they also keep on sending me downloads I can't remember subscribing into. While there are pro's to having a postpaid plan, I believe the con's outweighs the pro's.

14. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    I agree with everyone who suggested prepaid instead of contracts. It's definitely the way to go now. It's cost efficient and you're not locked in if you find a better deal elsewhere. I've switched phone services twice since I've been on prepaid plans, and each time I got a better deal on my services. If I had been locked into a contract, it would have taken me about 4 years to get to the deal I'm at right now.

15. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I love my prepaid plan I have with att . I pay 60 a month for unlimited everything. I get 2gb of data which is great cause I never use it all. I can talk and text and I have the top smartphone to use with it. I think prepaid is the way to go casue not only does it keep you on a budget but it helps to know that your phone plan remains the same without any overage.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always been a prepaid subscriber because I really don't call people and I'm just content to text with them. It also suits my budget, since I'm not a heavy mobile phone user. Maybe when my needs change and I need to call or text people more often, then I might subscribe to the cheapest plan available.

17. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to have a Phone Plan, the prepaid plans here in Ontario are pretty bad. I remember I had a $10 prepaid phone when I was younger and the minutes would tick by very quickly, thought I'm pretty sure it changed, I just don't like them. I'm with a company called WIND right now and I'm paying about 22.60 a month. I get unlimited talk and text in Canada, unlimited incoming calls from anywhere in the world, caller ID, call waiting and conference call. I use all of these features all the time and I think that it is a great plan! I didn't take data because there's wifi everywhere you go now, so I don't see the use of getting data.