Prepaid phones are a great way to save money on cell phone bills

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by illusion • Oct 25, 2013.

1. illusion

illusionMember

Threads:
    I know there's a stigma with using prepaid cell phones. A few years back I was using Sprint. For two phones on a family plan I was paying about $90/month. When we had kids this became too expensive for us. We started using TRACFONE to save money on the cell phone bill. We're now spending about $60 for every 3 months. The drawback with using the prepaid phones is that you won't have the latest and greatest phones. But, the upside is that you can have a cell that works Nationwide with texting for a very low price. There's several services to go with I went with Tracfone just because that's what my in-laws were using. If you're looking for ways to save money. You might want to consider this as an option.

2. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I'm thinking about switching to prepaid plan because it is better for me, which I don't call and text much and I still have to pay a lot now. One thing I'm not sure is that can you be able to keep the current mobile phone number when you port to the prepaid plan? Or do I have to get a new phone number? I hope I'm able to keep my existing number.

3. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    You can actually get a good smartphone on a prepaid plan. If you want to play apps then get a iPod touch or a cheap android mp3 player. I find it ridiculous that most people will buy a iPod Touch and then get a iPhone. They both do basically the same thing but the other has a data plan.

4. atribble73

atribble73Member

Threads:
    I have to agree that pre paid phones are a great deal cheaper! When I first went onto the non-contract phones, I was amazed as to how much it has changed from years ago. I am happy with no contract and half the bill price.
    I was paying about 80/phone and now I pay 25/month for each phone, huge difference!

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. The prepaid system makes it a lot easier for you to monitor and limit your usage, as post paid usually will only encourage you to use it endlessly. My only problem with using prepaid is that you'd have to plan and monitor your usage a lot more, which tends to become a bit inconvenient at times, but the savings are worth it if I am really that much on a tight budget.

6. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    My mom, who is in her 70s, uses a prepaid phone with TracFone. She couldn't be happier with it and she got to keep her old phone number. She just wanted to have a phone for emergencies. She doesn't text and she doesn't use any data so this was the perfect option for her.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always used prepaid phones, and it does save you a lot of money, because you can control your usage as compared to using postpaid phones, because whether you use it or not, you still get charged the same price. I think the only thing that is worth it if you use a postpaid plan is when you pay a fixed price for their unlimited service to the same network, so you can text or talk all you want without worrying about your bill.