Prescription medicines free for the asking

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by goodselfme • May 1, 2012.

1. goodselfme

goodselfmeMember

Threads:
    I don't know if Canada doctors do this service, but you can always ask and see. Since I worked in a doctor's office for numerous years, I know that drug representatives delivered many supplies of prescription medicines to physicians. It is the patient that asks for samples that can actually acquire a small to a large supply of free medicines with a scheduled appointment. Each an every visit ask for medicine samples and check the expiration dates on these medicines to keep them as a fresh supply for you.

2. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    This would only be helpful if you happen to need or want prescription medicine that you can't afford.

Marginally related: My husband recently told his doctor he was quitting smoking, and was prescribed with the patch, which he didn't really need, because he was able to quit cold turkey. Then the doctor (who apparently is not up on these things) prescribed Chantix (unbeknownst to him until the pharmacy called and told him to pick up his medication). But he hasn't had a cigarette in almost two weeks now. Not a single one. So we've got this big box of prescription Chantix that he doesn't need. He thought about selling it, but to whom would he sell it, unless he knew somebody who wanted to quit smoking but couldn't get a prescription from the doctor?

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I've done this quite a few times when I knew I couldn't really afford a full prescription. I actually got 3 months of birth control once when I was going to be out of the country and asked the doctor to extent my prescription instead of me needing to refill it every month. He wasn't sure if my insurance would allow it, so he just gave me a few months' of samples instead.

4. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I learned this during a period of time when I was anxiety medications and lost my health insurance. I called my doctor, and he gave me six months worth of samples of my medication.

5. goodselfme

goodselfmeMember

Threads:
    Good thing you did not know who to sell Chantix to. I say that because if it were ever known that you sold that you could be put in jail. Super that your husband did not need the RX to quit smoking.

6. goodselfme

goodselfmeMember

Threads:
    I know some friends who go into the doctor during each appointment and get samples to cut down on their expenses and also keep an emergency supply by supplementing with their prescription too. It is necessary to rotate and always check expiration dates on all medicines.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Good point. Definitely check for expiration dates. If it's a long term prescription you're getting, sometimes it's better to use the samples first and -then- start with what you get from the pharmacy because it's likely to be newer and active longer.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It has been suggested to ask your doctor for samples when he gives you a prescription, the rep gives them to the doctors so that they can be given to clients but most doctors will not give them out unless asked. It does help on the overall cost of meds.