Prevent heart disease: Go on a 5-minute run

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by allswl • Oct 14, 2014.

1. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    Runners now have some more good news: A recently released study published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology has suggested that running, even for a couple of minutes each day, can lower your risk of dying from heart disease – irrespective of what pace you go at. The study found that when compared to those who did no running, people who ran had 45% lower risk of dying from cardiovascular disease and a 30% lower risk of dying from all causes. They also found that runners lived three years longer than those who did not on average. So get running you guys!

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Any cardio exercise would sure turn your health into a very good one. And yes, definitely a five-minute run a day would have a positive outcome on your heart, and the more the better, but not to point of exhaustion.

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I also believe that the running can help a person quite well to stay away from many diseases as it is really a very good exercise. It also helps a person to be more active and energetic throughout the day. I think running coupled with few other exercises is considered to be great for health.

4. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I actually began to run because of health reasons. I'm not an athletic person ever since I can remember and the only "easy to get into" sport/exercise I can think of is running. I started running last May and has been enjoying it ever since. I now run 30 minutes 3 to 4 times a week with my husband and feeling more energetic than 10 or 20 years ago.:)

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    This is a good reminder that even a little physical activity a day can really help you out a lot. I run a few times a week but I should do it more often. It feels really good to get out and get your blood flowing. Now that the weather is cooling down I will try to get out every day. Thanks for the info!

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This is great information and thanks for sharing it. Most people have the idea that you have to spend so much time on exercise just to keep healthy and fit and that only ends up making them feel discouraged and tired before they even start, but the truth is just a couple minutes each day of exercise adds up to a lot if you look at it from an annual perspective, and it's definitely a lot more than just sitting all day watching tv or browsing online so no matter how little time and effort a person can spend on exercise, it's still worth it.

7. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I think that most people who spend their time on their phones and computers should have time to exercise once in awhile. I feel like that a 5 minute run is a good start for people who want to be healthy,but I think 30 minutes a day is a best way to lose weight.

8. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    Everyone should set a little time back everyday for exercising. What is good for your body is good for your mood as well.

9. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    This is great information in preventing heart disease. However, my physical fitness does not allow me to have a 5-minute run. I feel sorry for my lungs and heart. Presently, all I can do is to do more walking myself. I may need to take up another exercise besides walking. It is hard to me. I really need to think about it for the sake of my health. Thanks for sharing it.

10. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know why or how running has become the de facto exercise for someone trying to get into shape, especially beginners or overweight people. That is considered an advanced exercise and rightfully so due to the damage it inflicts on a body for even experienced runners. If you want to get some cardio in to prevent heart disease, grab a jump rope or run suicides for about 10 minutes, but going out for a run will do more harm than good for the average person.

11. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    Does running in place count?
    I walk swiftly in which both feet are off the ground. I guess that is running slowly.
    Any cardiovascular exercises are good for your health. Those types of exercises lower cholesterol. It also lowers risks of diabetes.

12. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    Great to Know. I just recently got back in the gym. I hate working out but I do not mind running. It is easy for me to do since I do not have to use much muscles. I can see how running can be great for you heart.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wait. You said something like "regardless of the pace." So is it just running or is walking part of the equation too? There's such a thing as brisk walking which is no different from half-running. Is this considered as running too? Also, I don't really do an all-out run but I tend to walk fast like almost on the verge of running to avoid shady people on the streets. I ride the stationary bike often and pedal fast and it's the same effect as running.