Price Over Quality?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by haitch • Feb 2, 2015.

1. haitch

haitchNew Member

Threads:
    Overall i buy a lot of products off Amazon for cheap but some people i know like to pay premium for better made goods or handmade/organic stuff. What is your opinion on the quality you want for your dollars?

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what I'm buying. There are certain items that I have found one brand that is just my preference over any other, so I buy that brand regardless of the price (unless, of course, the price suddenly skyrockets, then it's time to start experimenting with new brands!). There are other items that brand doesn't matter and price is what I look at.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can get quality cheaply too, it takes some effort but it depends on what you are buying. If it something that needs to last then quality is better for example an airbed, but things like curtains I don't spend too much on as they don't always last long and I like to change them to suit the mood of the room. I bought some expensive blinds once and the sun faded them all, so they were worth it, but didn't last as long as I though they would.

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I am of the mind set that it will depend on the item. If its something simple like say some sewing trim then I don't want to pay a high price, a low price is just as good for the item. But when it comes to something like a laptop computer, yes I am still looking for a good deal, but I am also looking for a good running system, good quality along with a trusted seller who has a proven reputation.

So, even though I still want a good bargain I also want to make sure that its quality when I am paying for an item that I want to last awhile and be trusted. I am willing to pay more if I have to in order to get good quality in such an item.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Look, before I used to prefer quality. That was when I still could manage to afford my bills and pick products by quality. Nowadays, I am always on a budget and can never pay my bills easily. So I do prize for price more than quality... Of course, I tried to bet get the best quality possible for the money I'm spending,however I cannot say that price doesn't take the main importance in whatever it buy.

6. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    If I choose price over quality depends on what I'm shopping for. I have two young children who are growing like weeds so I tend to buy some of their shoes and clothes through Amazon. But for items like mattresses and appliances that need to make it through the years I prefer to spend a little more. I have had a few situations where trying to save a couple dollars has ended up costing more in the long run.

7. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Lump me in with the "depends on the item" crowd. A lot of times I tend to go with a product that is middle of the road in price with really good reviews--sometimes better than the pricier items. And, occasionally, you'll find a product on the bottom tier of pricing with fairly good reviews.
    Too, sometimes you have to factor in how long a certain product will last compared to another of the same type. Well, while we obviously want most things to last as long as possible, there are some things that we just don't need to have around all that long.

8. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In general price denotes quality. Of course, I go for high quality products but not on each and every occasion. If I'm going to buy a product that I would use only a few times, I just go for something that is cheap. However, if I'm gonna buy something that I would use for a long time, like for instance a movie phone I go for products that are of high quality. No need to dish out lots of dollars for quality products all the time. Lol.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to clothes or shoes, I'm not picky. I would gladly buy a 2nd hand one if it still looks good as new or at least decent. When it comes to electronics though, that's a different story. I always buy known brands to ensure that I get the best quality.

10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I think its important to strike a balance between price and quality. Obviously everyone wants the best of the best but thats not very practical. I weight a combination of both. I am a bit choosy when it comes to clothes so I typically pay a bit more.

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the item too. There have been times when buying cheap has ended up costing me more money. On the whole, I prefer to buy cheaper decorative items, clothes and basic groceries and pay a little more for tools, utensils, cleaning products and shoes.

12. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it really does depend on what it is that you're buying. There are some things that you want quality for, and others that it doesn't really matter. However, you do need to make sure that you are getting a better quality if you spend more money on the item. For example, recently I did an experiment where I got my family to try foods of different price ranges from the local supermarket. Shockingly, a lot of the time they were not even able to tell the difference between them, meaning that there is no point spending so much money on the more expensive product. So make sure that if you're going for quality, you are definitely getting what you are looking for rather than just being tricked by the difference in price.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    For clothing I am particular, and will only stick with certain brands that fit me well and are made with good quality fabrics and materials. I don't want to buy something cheaper which looks odd on me, and shrivels up and fades after one wash.

For cleaning supplies and other household goods, I am fine using generic stuff as long as it's not diluted. For a while there, I was buying the Dollar General brand of wet "Swiffer" mops and pads to save money. The dollar stores also carry cheap knock offs of Oxi Clean based products - no sense in paying full price.

For foods, I am very open to using store brand or generic brand stuff, as long as I've taste tested it in advance and know the quality is good or not. I won't buy generic soy sauces, for example, and only stick with Kikkoman since it's real brewed soy sauce, not the fake stuff that all the other brands are.

14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Well, most expensive products are actually better in quality. If you buy cheaper ones, there's a possibility that you will not be able to use them for a much longer time.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    missbishi, you took the words right out of my mouth! Overall I much prefer quality over cheap, too. For electronic appliances, I tend to buy quality over price. If I can be bothered, I'll buy my cleaning materials and toiletries at Home Bargains and maybe pound shops. As far as clothes are concerned, it's also a mix; for casual wear I don't mind buying from Primark and H&M, but I much prefer pricier and better quality clothes for work and going out. I also prefer good quality food.

16. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    there is a very thin line separating this two. practicality speaking, you have to weigh in your intentions on the item that you intend to buy - if you intend to use it over a long period, it is better to go with the quality rather than the price.. one example of this is the refrigerator that we still use bought by our grand parents.. speaking of quality huh!

for things like we use temporarily, like house decoration, etc.. price should always be considered.

17. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Always depends on the product.

Certain foods I'm reasonably comfortable with no name brands or cheaper products, but not for all food.
    When it comes to electronics or things I may have to utilize a warranty on, I prefer to go with a more reputable brand as the lesser known ones are likely to leave you hanging.
    Clothing? I'm reasonably flexible.
    As for misc things or disposable, I don't mind using dollar store products.

18. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    When I was broke, I always chose price over quality. Now that has changed and I realize that you almost always get what you pay for.
    I had a cheap TV whose colour and sound quality deteriorated slowly over the course of a year until finally it was unwatchable, then I bought another one which I paid more for and it's still good as new four years later. So if I could go back in time, I'd just save until I could afford quality items, Cheap is expensive in the end.

19. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the product. However, I usually always lean towards price over quality. It's something that has become habitual over the years. If I spend a large amount of money on one item I become dissatisfied. Ultimately, I try my best to find quality for cheap! Finding good items on sale is the way to go.

20. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on two things, the amount of money that I'm working with, and, as others have said, what the item is. I've found that things at stores like "Dollar General" suit me just fine. I like going into dollar stores and coming out with a whole slew of things for very little money, for the most part.

Other things, like things for my car, or electronics, I tend to want the best quality that I can buy because I want those types of things to be as well made as possible.
    I also like to buy quality foods, not that all of my food has to be organic, or anything like that. When it comes to food, I try to buy food that tastes good to me and my family, but certain things I don't like to skimp on, like sugar, coffee, olive oil, and certain cereals.