Project Gutenburg

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by helpingcollier4 • Dec 23, 2014.

1. helpingcollier4

helpingcollier4Member

Threads:
    If you are looking for an excellent source of free eBooks, I strongly recommend Project Gutenberg. It is a source for thousands of books that are in the public domain, and the books are all free of charge! You won't find modern books on Project Gutenberg, but there are a host of classic works of literature. As an English teacher, I constantly point my students toward the website for examples of good reading. In an age of digital learning, Project Gutenberg is a must-use site. I have downloaded both eBook and audio book files there, and have never been dissatisfied.

If you are looking to save money, then download the classics for free using the Project Gutenberg web service.

NOTE: I have no connection to Project Gutenberg. My only reason for discussing it here is to provide access to free books for my fellow forum participants. Enjoy!

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Project Gutenberg certainly is a good source of old books. Another great source of free, old books is manybooks.net. It's almost like Project Gutenberg. The books are free, you can download ebooks in numerous formats, etc, etc but there's a slight difference:

It's a great "supplement" to Project Gutenberg.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tried to browse Project Guttenberg before, and I didn't find an ebook that I liked, so I never browsed the site again. I like the usual entertaining or new age ebooks, and they don't seem to have it. I guess the site mostly has literature books that can be a good resource for students.

4. helpingcollier4

helpingcollier4Member

Threads:
    Project Gutenberg is certainly not a fit for everyone. But as an English teacher in a lower middle class school district, I love the fact that I can put some of the greatest works of Western literature at the fingertips of my students. Even I have become familiar with classic works that I never knew existed. I have had a lot of fun becoming acquainted with Tom Sawyer, Detective, and Tom Sawyer Among the Indians, just to name a few examples.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Project Gutenberg is great. I think it was the first source of free books I ever came across. I really appreciate what they are doing for education and enrichment. Thanks for reminding us about it. I have not thought of them in a long time.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I difference with Gutenberg is that there are so many different formats and you don't even need to download a book, you can read it as HTML text. Sometimes that is preferable when people don't want to download items or have low bandwidth and can't. It's a great project and I would like to volunteer one day when I am able to help out.

7. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Gutenburg site is actually one of my favorite book resources. It's filled mostly with classic books from what i noticed and the best thing about the site is that you can download the books legally. You can also read directly from the site if you prefer it that way. I really hope the site would upload some of the newer books though would really be great if they do that.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I really like Project Gutenberg. Right after I discovered it when years ago, I got impressed and thought that I'd download as many books as I want to read, regardless of the time concern. But of course I wasn't able to do it, because of time constraints. But if I need a digital book, and if I am not sure of what to read, just want to read, I really check out one in Project Gutenberg. It's one of the first site that I go to, for some leisure reading. The site is really helpful.