Protein Powders?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by themotleyshopper • Apr 8, 2013.

1. themotleyshopper

themotleyshopperMember

Threads:
    Sorry if this is redundant. I've been using Melaleuca Proflex 20 protein powder, but have decided to save money and get rid of my Melaleuca account. I really like the flavor of the Proflex. Does anyone have any suggestions for a low carb, high protein GOOD tasting protein powder? I always mix with just water (no dairy), and don't want a powder that has a gritty taste. I prefer to trick my taste buds into thinking I'm having a milkshake, LOL. Thanks :)

2. LayneJackson

LayneJacksonNew Member

Threads:
    you may try amino or endura mass that are pretty much low in their power calorie...that would help you a lot in the workout session

3. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would recommend buying unflavoured whey protein because it is about 20% cheaper than the flavoured option. Flavouring the option costs more money as it requires more ingredients and processing.

4. AvalonX

AvalonXBanned

Threads:
    You could try a site like Trueprotein.com. You can make custom blends and pick the flavors. They have pretty good flavor packs but you can choose the more healthy path with stevia flavoring as opposed to the other stuff.

5. Seymour

SeymourNew Member

Threads:
    I think protein powder is not better than natural protein foods.
    So I never take any protein powder or protein supplements to gain muscles or lose fat.
    I believe in natural diet plan so I take only natural protein foods for the muscles building and fat burning purposes.

#5May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  6. jacrysma

jacrysmaNew Member

Threads:
    Did you find a cheaper protein? I'm curious because I joined Mela to order the protein for my son. Now you have me wondering if I'm financially making the wrong choice??

7. Been Klivage

Been KlivageNew Member

Threads:
    I would suggest you to get concentrated on the natural herbs and fruits as they are the richest source to get the minerals and all kinds of pretense that a body needs.

8. crazycroc

crazycrocMember

Threads:
    I stopped taking protein powder a while ago because it gave me indigestion. Also you have to be careful with supplements because a lot of them do not contain what is advertised. Supplement companies do this to save money.

If you're looking for a good way to get protein try greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Both are VERY high in protein per calorie.

9. IamaMillionaire

IamaMillionaireNew Member

Threads:
    A few things to watch with protein powders, as crazycroc has shown, is that a person needs to be aware of his or her own body and what is affecting it. If a person is lactose or dairy intolerant, than they need not to use whey protein. Whey is a derivative from dairy. In any case, it doesn't mean that supplementing protein is necessarily a bad thing to do. When someone is exercising at a high intensity, it's important to note that the individual needs more protein than the average person. Staying on topic, looking up what proteins to buy is incredibly important. I use Dr. Mercola's website in determining a few deciding factors when I choose a protein. Soon I will be buying protein with the recommendations that he made on multiple article pages such as

In another case, it's also healthy to get pea protein, rice protein, vegan protein if a person would like to increase protein content in a day. Try to avoid soy protein powders as they do very little for muscle growth and many are GMO (which damage the body more than the good they do).

If I were the original poster (themotleyshopper) I would highly recommend doing research to find the best protein powders and then focus on flavor. Take a look into it and show us what you choose to buy! :)

10. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I'm with IamaMillionaire, figure out what you might be allergic to and go from there. If you have a soy allergen, do not use GNC proteins, it will trigger them, but you should be okay with Optimum Nutrition. The alternative kinds of protein like pea and rice are also good options, as well as hemp protein.

Don't be afraid to use protein powder as a supplement, it's only helping you get additional protein, it's not becoming your only source of protein.

11. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You probably like the flavour because it has been pumped with artificial sweeteners and flavours. I go for a natural unflavoured whey protein because it is healthier and it is also a lot cheaper than the flavoured option. Adding flavourings, sweeteners etc costs more money for the manufacturers.

12. churchies

churchiesNew Member

Threads:
    Don't you find the taste of protein bland? I once bought a 1kg bag of unflavoured whey protein, absolutely hated it! Never again, I will just stick with the delicious banana flavour that I have!

13. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can add cinnamon and cocoa powder for some flavour. However, I down a shake in 5-seconds after my workout, I don't care that it tastes bland.

Whey protein is a supplement, it shouldn't generally be used as a meal replacement.

I'm sure it tastes nice but it's not good for you, if you care about that...

14. Adam

AdamNew Member

Threads:
    Go with Optimum Nutrition's whey protein, my personal favorite flavor of their's is Chocolate Malt, it tastes delicious. If you are looking for an even lower carb option look for their whey isolate product. A little more on the expensive side though.

15. Kwizkey

KwizkeyNew Member

Threads:
    Have a look at MyProtein Impact Whey, it is cheap, very low carb and high protein content. I've tried it unflavoured and Chocolate Smooth which tastes amazing. Putting whatever Nesquik flavour you want into the unflavoured is a good option but will never taste as good as the official chocolate flavour. It mixes well with water too and in which case I'd suggest the chocolate flavour even though it is more expensive and drops the protein content a little.

16. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I currently use

that can be purchased from CVS pharmacy. I like it. Been using it for some time now and has giving me great results. Not too heavy and not too weak. Just enough, especially for women. And at an affordable price.

17. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsuNew Member

Threads:
    The cheapest protein I've found is the recession whey from Trueprotein.com, but I have not ordered that for a long time and don't know if it's still available. The next cheapest option I've found is Body Fortress whey protein from Wal-Mart. Despite people nay-saying cheap proteins (especially from WalMart) and saying they don't contain what they say and so on, I've used BF for years to supplement my protein intake from meals and have nothing but good results from it. Also, it does have creatine and BCAAs included in it, which many other powders don't. Without thinking about it at the time, but looking back later, I've found that my athletic performance is better when taking BF protein compared to TP or some other brand.

To the poster who said that herbs and fruits provide all the body needs, I hate to tell you, but you are sorely misinformed. Fruits and proteins hardly have any protein in them, and protein is necessary to repair damage done to muscles after stenuous work or exercise.

18. eg0mez

eg0mezMember

Threads:
    I would try Muscle milk it is the one I have growing up with, nit the best tasting, but not horrible. Also Muscle Milk is available in a lot of wholesale food places which makes it cheap to get a lot so just get some chocolate protein and you are all set. This protein is almost just complete protein and not overrated in my opinion.