Public Libraries

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by missbishi • Jan 3, 2015.

1. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was just wondering if anyone uses a public library at all? I use mine frequently. I like the fact that I can order any book and if it's not there, it will be obtained. I love reading so this has saved me so much money. After all, you only really read a book once. Apart from books, they offer audio, computer courses, careers advice and daily talks. I realise I am lucky to have access to an excellent library and was just wondering what the facilities are like for people in other parts of the world.

2. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, I do use it and funny that you mention it just today I went there with my kids because they love to read new books, to bring them home and the whole atmosphere there is pretty great. So yeah, I a feeling as lucky as you. ;)

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hardly every go the library these days because the kind of books I read can be obtained free online. And to be honest I wouldn't drive 10 miles from my home to read or borrow a book which I might not even like that much. For me libraries are a thing of the past. When I feel like reading something I look through the books they have on manybooks.net find one that looks interesting and . . . enjoy myself.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use my library whenever I can. I find the cuts in the service very sad because they are needed more than people realize, not only for the books, journals, computers but also as a place where people can read or study in quiet. I also feel local libraries house records of the area which can be digitized, but having the actual documents too is very important when people are tracing the history of an area.

5. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I continue to be surprised by how few people I know that use libraries these days. I use them quite a lot, both in terms of borrowing books but also to read random newspapers and magazines that I would never bother buying. If I ever get round to trying to improve my language skills then I would definitely be making more of an effort going to the language lab in my local library as well. They are definitely underutilized resources.

6. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    Libraries are a very valuable resource that contain much more than just books. A library offers an opportunity for readers to explore something completely new, whether this be a new subject, genre or more knowledge in a particular topic. It's rewarding to be able to pick a book off the shelf, look at the blurb and read it if it appeals to you interests. The atmosphere for me is also a big factor, as you are surrounded by like minded people who are there to read and explore as well. Generally, books are declining in popularity due to the ease of accessibility of the internet. Information about a certain topic can be found very easily through a search, whereas it may take a lot longer to find in a book. However, I still think libraries are important and their benefits can far extend that of just books.

7. jckobl

jckoblNew Member

Threads:
    Nowadays, I find all my books online. In the past year, I have only needed to visit my public library to find a book that I needed a physical copy to bring into school. Otherwise, I use sites like Audible for audiobooks and libgen.org for (free) e-books.

8. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't often visit the library. I like to read a book at my own leisure and in my own time and also in the few times that I did visit the library last year. The books I had wanted weren't available, so I just prefer to buy. I don't only just read a book I have enjoyed once. Also you can pass them on to friends which I often do. So I don't feel it is a waste to buy them as they are not just sitting on the shelf catching dust. I like the physicality of having an actual book as opposed to downloading content or listening to someone else read it for me. Books are a thing to be treasured.

9. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I have always had trouble with the library because I do read favorite books more than once. Often, I would get the book out at the library only to go buy it after I returned the library copy. I liked library sales better, cheap books to take home.

Now, I'm most of the way switched to digital. BUT I still occasionally use the library. Now though, I do it when major publishers release the book and the ebook price is higher than I prefer to pay. I'll go to the library, settle in for a few hours, and read the book. Then, I can wait for the ebook price to drop without feeling rushed wanting to read the book for the first time.

10. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I use my library on a weekly basis. I think it really can't be compared to (legal) online resources because they have brand new books that you can just go in and pick up and take home to read for free. You can't read brand new books online for free unless you're breaking the law. Also, I like how books feel in my hands.

I don't think libraries are a thing of the past at all and I actually think that's a really privileged thing to be able to think. The access to computers and the internet and job hunting tools are absolutely invaluable to the (still larger than most people on forums seem to imagine) percentage of the population that doesn't have a computer of their own at home, or even if they do have a computer at home don't have internet. As of the last census, over 20% of Americans still didn't have internet access at home. The percentage of people who have devices on which it's 'easy' to read ebooks like nooks and Kindles is much smaller.

11. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I love libraries. I loved the municipal library as well as the library of my university; I love to walk along the rows and pick books that seem interesting in the same category. I love librarians. I love borrowing fifteen books at once and maxing out my library card. I love sitting in one of their couches and reading comics, magazines or book. I do not have a smartphone or a Kindle; I read on the bus and train my books, I love to slip a few titles in my travel bag, I love to read between two classes. I love when libraries make book sales. Libraries are my big true love, really, and I'm happy when I can find DVDs that I could not stream, with the extras and all.

12. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    While I do not often get to my public library, I make sure to keep my card updated for when I am in town and can do so. I am a strong believer in states trying their best to keep Public Libraries open because it is a gift to have free education and books that many countries do not possess. Sadly, if the general public does not support their public library they could be at fault for it closing down and this would be a very sad back tracking of many years of hard work to see equality in the form of education for all. Many do not even realize the free programs their public libraries are putting on. If a person is feeling lonely, is sad because they do not have enough money to go do something - then please, try going to your library. Investigate everything they have to offer, sign up for things, volunteer to help. You will soon realize your community was just waiting for your help and many moments of satisfactory interactions will await you!

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Personally, I don't really use a public library. I have a membership though, because the class instructor of the class where I was enrolled in required us. My only encounter of the library was when I went there to get my ID for my membership. It was the first and the last. And I never thought that I'd come back. And never I did.

14. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do visit the public libraries once in a while but not always. I think it is great to read in public libraries but not very comfortable. I would rather prefer to read at home than anywhere else.