Public Library e-book borrowing

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by DancingLady • Sep 3, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    My county library system now has a e-book borrowing program. It runs through Amazon, but you can only keep the book on your device for the allotted borrowing period before it is automatically deleted (unless your device is not connected to the internet:)) I have used it quite a lot because the library does not have the funds to buy hard copies of all that many new books, but it must be cheaper for them to use this service because the selection is excellent. Do any of you have this kind of program through your public library?

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Our library rolled this out a few months ago, and I think it's absolutely fantastic. I don't go to our local library as much as I once did, and the amount of money that I was spending on books was starting to annoy me, so this is very welcome. For some reason, there is only a small collection of books that I have access to at the moment - I think they're setting it up so that the entire library of books is on there eventually, though. I am looking forward to it, because I love my Kindle, and love the fact that it takes up so little space in your bag when you're going away anyway. This type of service is something that I will definitely use regularly when it is properly up and running.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lots of libraries are signing up for e-books now, those that don't there is

that allows you to borrow books for up to two weeks free.

I download quite a lot of classics in the public domain from various sites, but most of the libraries I know offer contemporary e-books now or have a partnership with nearby libraries.

4. Gavin

GavinMember

Threads:
    Our library started doing this as well and I really like it. We also have the ability to listen and check out audio books which I've been enjoying like crazy while running. There's some pretty good titles, though not the biggest selection its still really nice to have. The downloads are reasonable and each audio book is like 10 - 20 hours of audio for my evening couple miles.

5. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    I think I need to look into the local library here to see if they are offering the same kind of thing. I have a nook, so it would be great if I could "check-out" e-books. I hadn't heard of this before, so I am assuming it must be fairly new in general. Sounds like the best thing to do would be to "check-out" the ones you want and then disable your wireless connection until you're finished reading them.