Public transportation

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Gelsemium • Mar 22, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Everyone says that it's cheaper to ride public transportations, but I don't know if that is true in my country because the prices are really very high here. Is it the same situation where you live or does it still pay off to ride the public transportations rather than a car?

2. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I think public transportation is worth if your job is very far from where you live. I have experienced this. I lived across town from job. It use to cost me $10 a da in gas to commute to work. $5 to get there, and $5 to make it home. I started riding the city bus, and that $10 turned in to $2.

3. mnicole

mnicoleMember

Threads:
    when i was younger and in middle school and high school it was more ideal to use public transportation to get back and forth to school. now that i'm older its more convenient for me just to use my car cause there's no bus stops where i work and the price i pay to ride the bus i can just use for gas in my car.

4. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes it does make more sense to drive than it does to take public transit, but most people don't look at the big picture.

Transit: There is the cost of bus fare, but if you choose to take transit regularly, the cost us frequently less because you get a pass. How convenient is it? If you need to walk thirty minutes to get to the bus, or it runs so infrequently that you would end up waiting, it probably isn't worthwhile. At some point you will probably go somewhere outside of your transit system, and that has to be factored into your transportation costs.

Private Vehicle: It isn't just gas that you have to pay for. You have car payments (or vehicle cost divided by time). You have to have insurance on the vehicle, pay for maintenance etc. Where I am, the insurance alone is more than a monthly bus pass. The nice thing is that if you want to take a weekend trip, you have the car at your disposal. If you have a dog or other pet, you can't use transit.

I think that if you factor everything into the equation, the car is more expensive, but convenience is worth something even if it doesn't have a dollar value.

5. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    It could be the case in your country but I seriously doubt that its the case in other countries too. Governments all across the world are realizing the increased importance of public transportation which is very evident from the increased investment in this area. It is also worth pointing out that they are also trying to make it accessible to the common people. So, I would recommend everyone to make more use of public transport as it is cheaper and better for the environment.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That makes perfect logic to me paha, but the thing is the public transportation system still belongs to the government and as we have a crisis they increase the prices to get more money so it's a real mess now, it's expensive to bring the car and it's expensive to ride the public transportations. Oh yes, and wages are being cut. :(

7. apple1989

apple1989Member

Threads:
    I'm from the Philippines and I think it is more practical to commute when you are alone, except in Metro Manila where taxi rates are high, add to that the pesky drivers who demand for more than what is in the meter rate. We just use our car when we travel because it's more convenient and practical.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I live public transport is scarce. There are no trains and hardly any buses. As the distances are vast here, flying has become very cheap. In this country it is very difficult to get by without a car. But the good thing is that people are usually generous offering lifts and helping those who have difficulties getting around. I have never been turned down when asking strangers for helping me with getting from one place to another. Often they will even stop by the side of the road and ask if they can take you somewhere.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is a totally different reality than the one I am used to Dora. Where in Australia do you live, not in a big city right? I imagine that if you live in a remote location there is a bigger sense of community and people just want to help their neighbors, I think that is great.

10. canoe

canoeMember

Threads:
    public transportation is definitely worth it if you have a decent to good public transportation system near your home and workplace. You can save a lot of money and time simply by taking the subway or bus to work. Some tech companies even have company buses now. If you don't have the luxury of having such as public transportation system, without a doubt it's much better to just drive. You'll be saving a TON of time and perhaps even money. After all, time is money :)

11. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    Where i live the public transportation is not very good. We have buses passing through every half an hour and they cover only one third of the city. The price is steep for the service provided also. So i use my bicycle whenever i can! It is more money-effective and it is my main workout method

12. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I went home to London this weekend and yet again the price of public transport has risen. I spent almost £40 getting around by public transport and it probably would have been cheaper by car. The service ran well and I had no issue or delays so no complaints there. I don't drive so there is no alternative for me anyway, but what with the congestion charge, parking fees and the price of fuel. I am not sure that driving is any cheaper.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on where you are, how's traffic, how long it takes you to get to work by car vs public transportation, if there is a line that takes you where you need to go, the prices of public transportation and gas where you live... there are so many variables to take into consideration!!! For me for example, I live really close to work. Not close enough that I can easily walk, but close enough that what I spend with gas is less than what I would spend on public transportation. And you might say "what about the cost of maintenance with your car"? Well, there is that. But the bus lines that are close to my house don't go exactly where work is, so I would need to get 2 bus lines for a really short way. It's not worth it! It's much more convenient and ends up being cheaper, waaaay faster and easier to just go by car. So you can't generalize, you need to see what works better for your particular situation!

14. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I think that unless you live in a remote location, public transport is usually the best option, as long as you get them on a regular schedule, if they either have few transports or if they are frequently late then I'd consider using my own car, but otherwise commuting to work is not that bad, you have some more free time on your hands, which is a valuable commodity these days.

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I am not saying that public transportation is not the best option, but I think times were when public transportations where cheaper, at least here where I live. Luckily I walk to work most of the days, but if I didn't I'd try car sharing or something similar to save some money.

16. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    Public transportation has to be cheaper. However when weighing the pros and cons in regard to flexibility that car wins out for me. I will pay extra to be able go when I want and where.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, most people will do that unless they really can't afford a car. Well, except for rush hour, I'd be insane to get inside my car to get to the center in the rush hour, that's insanity and I'll take the subway anytime over driving in those situations.

18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Here in my country, a car is not really that essential. Only rich people have cars here. I know that's really funny, but that's actually true. If you have a car here, it would mean that you must be rich. Most people here use public transportation, we love commuting so much because it's way cheaper and also accessible.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It's definitely much cheaper here to ride public transportation since gas prices are so high, but I think the most important factor of using trains here is that it gets you to your destination faster, considering the traffic here is almost always congested. The only problem is that public transportation here isn't well planned and designed either, but at least it will get you there faster than driving.

20. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In cities with vast public transportation systems, it can be cheaper to opt for the public option compared to operating a private vehicle. The fact of the matter is that most cities and towns have poor, and sometimes nonexistent, public transportation systems. Vehicles are far better options in those areas around the world, even in the most developed countries.