Publix is Amazing

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by SEA81 • Jun 25, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I know not everyone has Publix (it's only in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Alabama), but if you do live in the Southeast, it's such a great place to shop. It can be slightly more expensive than other grocery stores, but they have great BOGO sales that make up for it.

The staff is always super nice, the store is always clean, and they sell such a great variety of items. Even the bathrooms are clean! I just feel like I'm visiting friends while I'm in there vs. shopping for groceries.

2. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I couldn't agree more! It is slightly more expensive but you also get a much better variety than at other stores, you cannot surpass the cleanliness or amiablility and they do have awesome sales if you shop at the right time. I like buying my proteins here rather than anywhere else - its just fresher and the selection is better. They also have a superb sector of world cheeses and charcuterie. Its a great store! A step above Winn Dixie and one below Whole Foods!

3. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yeah, this week they had Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice BOGO. I have a pile of $1 coupons, and I cleaned up! Bought one for $3.99 and got one free, used $1 off the first bottle and the free bottle, so I got 2 bottles for $1.99. Now that is a bargain. My husband drinks it like its water so you know I stocked up on that deal.

4. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    Thankyou for this information. In August we are going on vacation to SC, and plan on cooking many meals in the condo we are staying in for the week. Knowing where to look for BOGOs and otner good buys will be extremely helpful!

5. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    When I moved to Georgia, I saw so many different grocery stores. The only one I recognized was Krogers. I shopped at Publix more than once. Yes, they are clean and friendly staff. But they are expensive to shop in. That's why I stuck with Krogers.

6. sniderman

snidermanNew Member

Threads:
    LOVE Publix! Like others have said, it can be a little pricier than other stores, but the better customer service and shopping experience is worth it to me.

And the fried chicken and potato salad are both some of the best EVER!

7. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm originally from Florida and I absolutely LOVE Publix, I wish they were in more places. They always have excellent quality fruit and produce and their deli sandwiches are the beast around because they always make them with Boarshead meat. I always go there when I am visiting home and usually have to bring a sandwich back on the plane with me :)

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also live in Florida and I agree that Publix is clean and organized, and the staff is nice. I go there specifically for the BOGO sale items and their fried chicken and key lime pie. I buy the rest of my grocery items at Walmart, because certain things are more expensive at Publix.

9. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    Slightly = exaggeratedly more expensive. It is ridiculous sometimes that I walk out of there spending $100 on groceries that would cost me $60 at Super Walmart. The meat section is world class though and it can't be beat. They always have prepared meals that you just need to cook and throw together with some sides for an easy dinner and the customer service is amazing.

10. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I'm up north, so I don't think we have any around here. But it is great to hear such nice things about a company. Thanks for sharing.

11. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Yes me too! I don't what with the other stores but Publix is a nice place to shop. I love their butter cream icing cakes. The people there are indeed nice.

12. jimrom

jimromNew Member

Threads:
    I actually prefer Winn-Dixie over Publix, for several reasons.

• Cost - I can usually cut my grocery bill by at least a third when shopping at Winn-Dixie instead of Publix.
    • Selection - While Publix carries more name brand items, Winn-Dixie has a better selection of generics. I'm not fond of paying for packaging.
    • Fuel Perks - This is a big one. For every $50 spent at Winn-Dixie, you get 5 cents off per gallon of gas at local Shell stations. There are also bonus fuel perks, which are generally on things that you would stock up on anyhow (paper goods, dry goods, etc.). With a bit of smart shopping, I can usually fill up the family car for $1.50 a gallon or less.
    • Sales - Winn Dixie's BOGO and discount offers beat Publix hands down. Plus, if WD has an item on sale at 2/$5, you get the discount even if you only buy one.

I've shopped at both, and the two stores are next to each other where I live, so it's easy to comparison shop. I'll purchase a few things at Publix, but the majority of my shopping is at Winn-Dixie. As far as customer service, I've had better luck with that at WD as well, at least in the stores that I frequent.

13. teamrose

teamroseMember

Threads:
    You're so right about Publix. Shopping there is never a chore, but a relaxing experience. In FL we have so many seniors, and it nice to have a store that seems to cater to the elderly as well as the young. The baggers that help you to your car with the groceries refuse to accept tips. The store has free coffee and tea in the mornings, great way to start your day.

I found their prices are a lot cheaper than Whole Foods but slightly higher than lower end stores. However, they run coupon and in-store buy one get one free deals all the time. You just have to be a savvy shopper to get the best deals.

I know a few employees that work there and the pay is really good. They pay above minimum wage and give regular raises. The best thing about the pay, is the benefits. Excellent health insurance for the employee and family. Also, one the best stock option plans around. Pity the stock is not public. I would buy a few shares in a heart beat.

14. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    Publix is a company that cares about its employees. And, for that, it has my business.

15. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    We have one being built near us and I'm a little excited about it! I've heard they also offer ordering online and that they'll have the order ready for you when you get to the store and will also load it into your vehicle for you. Is this true?

16. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I like Publix for many reasons the most important being how nice and quiet ours is. I like how clean it is, how helpful the staff, the fact they carry my beloved ice cream, and the many sales. In fact there is one going on right now.

17. dmm2702

dmm2702New Member

Threads:
    I love shopping at Publix! They make the best chicken salad in their deli. I stock up when they have products buy one get one free. We just moved back to Florida and I was so happy that we have a Publix close to where we live. The store is always clean and the employees are friendly. I still shop at Walmart for some items especially cleaning products, health and beauty, and paper products.

#17Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  18. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I shopped in one while visiting a friend in Florida. It was a great store, and my friend loved shopping there. I live up north so we don't have any near by. Their everyday prices were higher than Walmart, but their sales were great. The store was clean, and the staff was friendly.

19. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    I wish we had one around here! I have a couple of friends that have mentioned them and they seem nice. We have Stop & Shop, Shaw's, Hannaford's & Market Basket around here.