Purchase New Or Old Children's Books?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Miaka_M • May 27, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure we all know that books and children sometimes don't get along very well. They look at the images and after many years, the books get torn. If you had to purchase books for your youngsters, would they be new or used? I'm currently in the process of getting rid of some of my old books, but I was wondering if it would be worth the trouble. Any thoughts?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thinking back at my own childhood, and how much I cherished every book that I ever received, I would say that kids are all different. Some are bookworms, others will scribble in them or tear them up. I guess the idea is to observe what kind of kid you are dealing with and then get the appropriate material. There are plenty of great children's books available in thrift stores or opportunity shops. So, if money is a big factor, those places might be a good start.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    That is a hard call. When it comes to little ones I always think cleaner is better because they suck on stuff. But when they get older they can be so hard on books, or even when they are younger that I think, 'why bother giving them something new?' I have done both but can see why someone wouldn't want to. Books are valuable no matter what way they come. And I think taking kids to the library is important and those are all 'used books' so what would be the difference when it comes to buying one for the home?

4. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    Many older books are so classic and nice. Books like Dr. Suess and Winnie the Pooh. Since I grew up with some characters, I want to share them with my children. New books still need to be included too, to keep current in my children's generation.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Second-hand books every single time. Kids wreck books, theres no two ways about it. They are so cheap in the thrift/charity shops so used books can actually be an inexpensive way of starting your kids interest in reading. There's always the local library, if you have one, too.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In terms of new or used, I'd probably prefer to buy new for my children. But if my children were avid readers and some of the books I wanted to buy were not easy to find, especially classics, I'd probably buy any I found. But they would need to be in good condition.

7. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    If your children show an enthusiasm for books you should make available as many as you can lay your hands on , whether new, borrowed or second hand. Being a book worm myself from an early age, I was delighted to see a different book come into my home and didn't care if it was new or old.
    Money spent on books is never wasted. A young child gains so much from being read to daily and this act can turn them into book lovers because they love spending one to one time with their parent.

8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I would go with old children's books, specially if you have a collection of really good classic ones. It doesn't have to be new because what if your child doesn't have any interest in reading? I mean, every child is different from another.

9. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Like others, I think it depends on the child. Some kids will wreck books, others are careful and possibly fussy. Myself, I was somewhat in the middle; I liked to keep my possessions in good condition but I didn’t turn down second-hand books regardless of condition. Some shops will have a better selection than others if you’re worried about quality, and they’re still usually much cheaper than new, so it pays to look around.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Used books as long as they're in great condition can save you a lot of cash. Fewer kids read books these days. If you have a "bedtime story tradition" then it wouldn't matter if the book is new or used since it's you, the parent, who'll be handling it.

I have a niece who got numerous books when she was a little girl but she never read any of them. It was a waste of money getting her all those books.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whether it's old or new, the state of the book doesn't concern me that much. As long as the book has a good story that my children will love and the pages are still intact with enough drawings and colors to draw their attention, then I'd be willing to purchase it. If I buy a new children's book, I'll make sure to choose one made from quality materials. The thicker the page and the more quality the paper, the less likely it will tear off.

12. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    You know, I would buy a used book. Most of the time children don't care what the books look like as long as all the books they have have all the pages. I'm sure as they get older they would care, but I would buy used books for my children. I mean I buy used books for myself. It's a way that you are able to buy them cheaper, so I don't mind that.

13. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We buy new and used books. New books feature some aspects that old books do not have. I find that newer books have more vibrant color and some techie interesting stuff in them. Like we have this one book were you can squeeze the sheep in the middle. We also have this book where you can click the pictures and they make sounds.

Some old book classics are very important to read to kids. Fairytales and fables are quite good ones. Buying secondhand of these kinds are good enough as it is the story which is important.

14. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Both, I think it should be about what the book is about, not what it looks like. Some of the best children's stories are old books. I like old books, but if I see a new author that I think will interest my daughter, then I purchase the book. Both new and old books are good.

15. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on the age of the child. Younger kids you should probably buy new, as they'll chew on the book. It's not too difficult to find dirt cheap kid's books anyway. Once they get a bit older and give up on the chewing phase you can move on to second-hand stuff.

Just be sure to inspect the book careful to ensure that it isn't gross in some way. You'd think book vendors would be careful about that sort of thing, but I bought a novel from a book store once, only to later discover that it smelled funky... and a few of the pages near the back were stained... and we were pretty certain in my household that someone had peed on it. Money well spent.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have three younger siblings, between the ages of five years old to nine years old. All three of them love to read, and have a bookcase full of various books. All of the books are newer books. Yes, a few of them are torn here are there, but the kids themselves did the damage. Most of them are still shiny and brand new, or at least they look that way. They smell nice too :)

17. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    Based on my experience selling books online, children’s books are among the hardest to sell. This is mainly due to the fact that there’s so many children’s books flooding the market. In conclusion, yes, you can sell children’s books but don’t expect them to fly off the shelves after your sale announcement. You have better chances of making a profit if the titles you sell are by well-know authors like Dr. Seuss.

18. kayla smith

kayla smithNew Member

Threads:
    Some old book timeless classic are very essential to read to kids. Magical stories and fables are quite excellent. Buying a used book of these kinds are great.

19. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that second hand books are great, but I don't like it when people have drawn pictures and things like that in them. A few pencil marks here and there are okay, but not too much. Books are always a fantastic gift to give no matter whether somebody has owned them before you or not, so you shouldn't worry about buying second hand. If there is any chance to save money, you should definitely be doing it.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm kind of paranoid about germs and what not so I personally would only buy brand new. I know there's probably not much to worry about but I guess it's just a preference. Especially when kids are young, I am worried about their immune system or how developed it is, and although I'm sure buying a second hand book probably won't cause any diseases, I still prefer not having to constantly have it in mind. Also I think the smell of a new book is pretty cool too.