Purchasing Electronic Online

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by prose • Apr 9, 2016.

1. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Would you or have you ever considered purchasing electronics online?

Our television recently broke. Having fallen off of the wall in the process, we did not consider taking it to a television repair shop because we assume that the damage is extensive enough to where the cost to repair it would be similar to the cost of replacing it. Having shopped around at the local stores and online, we have noticed that the best deals are to be had online for televisions, particularly at Amazon.

Have you ever purchased electronics online? Would you ever consider it? Why or why not?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know it sounds a little scary, but yes I would consider it and yes we've done it! We've bought some phones on eBay and they worked just fine, never gave us any problems. Also, my very first MacBook was a second hand one we got off eBay. It worked like new until I had an accident a very hot mug of coffee and fried the motherboard :(

The only time we had a nightmarish experience was when we tried to buy a Mac desktop that failed to work right off the bat. At first the seller would not listen to reason, and just wouldn't accept it back. But we were very forceful, packed it up and sent it back. Luckily, he did eventually relent and paid back every penny. That was a close call. But that's the risk that you take, I guess.

3. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I can't remember not having purchased electronics for many years now. I buy most of my electronics online. The only things I didn't buy online were the water purification thing (after I heard about Flint and thought maybe tap water isn't the best), my iPhone and the ps4 because I stood in line for some time just to get my hands on it back when it was launched. I purchased my last 2 laptops online, I bought my backup phone, hard disks, powerbanks, etc etc. All online. I try not to shop for other things online because saving money is my biggest priority but electronics are an exception.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have been purchasing electronics online for years. My favorite are the open box items on Amazon. They have so many warehouse deals on items that have damaged packaging. The items are fine, but the boxes they come in might have a dent or the box was opened and the item was returned. You can save up to 75% off buy shopping that way.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always been a little iffy about buying electronics online too.If I buy electronic products, I like to know that if anything goes wrong, I can take the device or electronic item back to a tangible place and see someone about the issue. Online it is more difficult to do that. But on the other hand, the prices are usually cheaper online. I have purchased electronics online and probably will do so again in the future.

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have bought electronics online. The oldest one that I have bought was an iPod touch from a Multiply store. Remember Multiply? Lol. I feel old just thinking about it. Anyway, back then, that shop was in Multiply and it was quite a popular gadgets shop. Since the price for the iPod touch is way below in that shop as compared to physical store price, I went ahead and bought it. Back then, the only way to get my gadget was to meet-up with the seller. So my then boyfriend and I went and met up with the guy.

Anyway, after the exchange of money and the gadget, we checked it out and it worked fine. For years, that iPod touch worked well without any problems at all. It only got broken when I accidentally dropped it from my top bunk of the bed to the floor and the screen got cracked. But even with that cracked screen, it still worked well. Lol.

Anyway, I think it's okay to buy electronics online if you have researched well about the seller. If he or she has good reputation, then you won't need to worry about the quality of the product that he or she is selling. If the store has good return policies, then that's another plus as well.

7. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah... electronics bought online work fine. At least that has been my experience. Also, you can always check for reviews or try buying something cheaper first.

8. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely consider buying electronics online. This would however be restricted to places where there is variety and good reviews which constitute a good reputation. I would concentrate on countries where brands are manufactured in order for the probability of buying faulty items is low like in Japan. Buying online is cheaper even in you include the shipping costs and some stores provide this service for free.

9. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    I personally think that buying electronics online is good as long as they are little sized items such as phones, controllers, consoles, PC's parts and that kind of stuff, I would definitely not buy a TV online, the courier company would get me broke, however if you are in the US it is maybe going to cost much less, so yes, I would if I were you.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have purchased some 2nd hand cellphones online and it was always 50/50, because I once purchased a $130 phone and it broke down after 8 months even if it was under warranty. The other phones worked just fine, some durable and some didn't last that long. I guess it all comes down to luck.

11. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not so sure about purchasing a large item like a TV. I'd just purchased from a local store, probably second hand. But, to each his own... if you can find a better deal online than I'd go with that. That is, as long as the shipping and handling fees aren't too outrageous.

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would, and I have. In fact, I purchased two of my three current televisions online, as well as my computer monitor, which actually functions as a TV. I haven't had any issues with them. I initially purchased a bedroom television in a store, but there was a design flaw that drove me crazy, because the power cord plugged into the back bottom, and was constantly falling out. I quickly returned that, and found a great deal online. I went back to a brand I knew would be good quality without design flaws, and the televisions are all working fine. I also purchased 2 blu-ray players and my sound bar online.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I still prefer buying electronics at a physical store because I like to be more secure in knowing that I have someone I could go back to even if a year has passed. Still, these days, with electronics becoming cheaper and cheaper, and online stores becoming much more efficient, I'd say it's not such a bad option anymore either. I have read some negative stories about having trouble with returns for certain expensive phones here locally, because our local online store functions similarly to Amazon wherein they aren't completely in charge of returns and sales so the ball mainly falls onto the seller themselves which can make it difficult, but still I think if you are able to take safety precautions and only buy from. Reputable sellers then it won't be as much of a problem, probably.

14. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have. I purchased a router from TigerDirect which lasted for quite a while. I also ordered a Dell laptop online at one time. I bought a kindle from Amazon. I really don't have a problem ordering electronics online, but before you buy, you should really look at the return policy should you need to return the product at some point. It would just make good sense.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying electronics online from reputable stores shouldn't be a risky affair. In fact majority of sales for many online retailers, Amazon included, come from electronics . As there are many people who've bought and continue buying electronics online without incident if you can get a better deal online you shouldn't be terrified of saving some money by buying what you need on the net.

Some companies advice their customers to buy their products from authorized dealers/resellers. To minimize your risks you could follow their advice.

16. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think to me, the perfect solution would be an online retailer with a brick and mortar presence, that allowed items purchased online to be returned to the physical locations. I don't know if stores such as Best Buy have that policy, but I know that Walmart requires items purchased online to be returned by mail, which can be a pain.

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also bought a cellphone from tracfone online because the deal was right. It is just one of the things to do because I got a better deal online than I could have in the store. That is the whole reason for buying most things online in the first place. It is just one of the things you might be able to find and use online, just shop for your electronics carefully.

18. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried going to the online route when it comes to buying gadgets. I just feel like it's a big deal and the price is no joke so i don't feel secure enough to do online transactions when it comes to those things. And i think being on the store, having physically see your purchase is the best way to ensure it's clear of defects or issues. I know there's warranty anyway but still.

19. Norjak71

Norjak71Member

Threads:
    If you're going to shop electronics online I have a firm rule for myself to only buy off reputable dealers. The problem with Amazon is as great as it is you never really know who the seller is. I've had times saying it should from somewhere and then the package would say somewhere entirely different. Might I suggest newegg, I won't post the link because I'm not sure if that's allowed but if you google it it will be the first search result. They are a 100% reputable company and specialize in computer parts/hardware/software. Another great thing about that site is the ratings, they have ratings for every product and thousands of user reviews.

20. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well that is just one of those things where I would just have to be completely certain that it was what I wanted and what I was looking at was what I am going to be getting as well. I can see problems happening with both of those things. I am sure that there are some good deals out there too so it is tempting, I have not really made the leap yet though.