Purchasing No-name Brands

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Miaka_M • Aug 26, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    One way to save money is to opt out of big brands and to settle for some of the no-name brands. For example, if you're having a party and you need to purchase some paper plates and cups, you don't necessarily have to purchase ones from a big brand. No, give the no-name brands a shot, they offer the same quality but for a better price and sometimes they have no difference at all. Remember, most of the time we are just paying for the brand and the packaging, not the actual product.

Give this a try and you will see your grocery bills get chopped down by a lot!

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a frugal shopper and always seek the best deals. When quality of anything I'm buying isn't an issue, I'll get a no name brand since they are cheap. However, at times I choose to buy specific brands because having tested other brands and no-name brands and learned that the products aren't as good as the brand I prefer, I'd be willing to fork a little extra money to get something which I know will satisfy my needs.

For most groceries I'd recommend no name brands.

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I do this too especially for toilet paper and liquid hand soap. I have tried both named brand and no names brand of these items before. To be honest, there really is no difference between their quality. They just differ in the name and packaging. As long as they do the job, I am okay with purchasing no name brands.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always buy no-name brands! As long as it's not going in my mouth, I'll give no-name brands a go. This is mainly cleaning materials and disposable stuff like paper cups and plates. If it works, I'll keep buying it. I'm only really precious about brands when it comes to my skin and the food I eat.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    There are times that you just have to get the branded ones, especially with gadgets, to make sure of the quality and durability. With clothes, I don't go for any particular brand, as long as I like how it looks on me and the price is reasonable. With some medicines, I sometimes go for generic ones (if i have to take it myself). But if the medicine is for my children, It's a must for me to choose the known brands (just to be safe). :)

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It does depend on what you are buying, but I do buy many non-branded items if they are available. Things like sauces and pasta I can buy generic, but chocolate has to be branded. For household things sometimes branded is better, but things like paper towels which are used for seconds, I will buy a non-branded.

You have to be sensible as to whether the quality is worth it, and also how much difference there is in price.

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have been doing this for a long time now, and I have to admit that I very much enjoy being able to save money and I know that buying lower brands is something that will enable me to do this. They often taste exactly the same, and in some cases I find that they're actually better than the brands that you pay so much money for when you're at the store. If you don't believe me then I would urge you to simply give it a go, as it is something that I am sure you're not going to regret.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy a lot of no name brands, specially when it comes to cleaning supplies. I like saving on those, and aside from a good laundry soap I don't make a big deal and use no name brands for everything else. Now for food I am more picky - after all you are putting those inside of you, not just around your house.

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I already do this to some degree with groceries and although very dependent on the type of item - I would agree that on the whole buying store branded products can save a considerable amount of money - especially as there are many unbranded products that are way cheaper but just as good if not better than some of the well known branded products.

I have however found - as quality and cost effectiveness are more important to me than brand - that buying cheaper or no name brands can sometimes be false economy and particularly when it comes to some groceries and everyday household products - as more often than not - you generally have to use more of a non brand product in order to get the same flavor or results - which is why for some things I stick to a named brand - as although initially a little more expensive - its more cost effective in the long run - as because I need less of the product to get the required results - I don't have to replace them so often.

10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I have a non-branded Chinese tablet and has same quality and durability that branded gadgets... No, I had another branded tablet which display broke for nothing as it was into my coat's pocket, while the Chinese has fallen, has traveled with me with many other stuff into by tote bag and it's there since more than a year ago.

I mostly buy generic or unbranded products, unless there is a good reason to buy a brand. However most reputable brands are nowadays owned by oligopolies that have gotten from the original owners, making quality of the original products to drop. So if brand belong to an oligopoly, I will avoid them as hell, unless quality and original characteristics of the product have been kept, or the unbranded product is really bad.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love having no name brands available to me as options. I grew up in a time where this didn't even exist where we were pretty much forced to spend on expensive products or cheap ones that compared poorly. Now at least you have the option of finding one that is of fairly similar quality and at the fraction of the cost. I find this is most useful for items I don't care much about the quality for such as paper towels or pasta.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes that is true, we will actually get to save quite a lot if we just opt for the no brand names. I wouldn't mind buying no name brands too especially if they are the disposable ones like tissue.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you about buying no name brands! Generic brands, store brands and little known brands are good options for they do cost less. I do check the nutritional value too if it's food. When it comes to cleaning products anything cheap will do! I like having the options to choose all kinds of brands when shopping. I find that store brands are cheap, more quantity and good quality! I like having the same things at a good price that taste the same. I buy nuts this way and like the quality I get with store brand name products. Great value & good quality so you can't go wrong buying no name products like store brand products.

14. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't all brands have names, including the generics? :p While they do cost less, they aren't always the same quality, especially for paper products. Generic toilet paper and paper towels are thinner and less absorbent than their branded counterparts, so you'll use far more of the cheap stuff to match the same results as the more expensive stuff. Still, they get the job done, and they're a great option if you want to spend as little money as possible here.

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're so right troustski! Cost is the factor in toilet paper though as it is with everything else. As for paper towels and paper napkins I buy the cheapest I can get. There is a Walmart and Walgreens here in Hawaii so I can get paper products so cheap. Though the quality is not as good as the name brands the cost is good. I'm so glad Walmart and Walgreens opened up. Maybe there will be a Big Lots soon?

16. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    Occasionally it's a mistake, but I almost always try the off brand first. It makes a difference in quality in soda, twinkies, and personal grooming necessities. But thats about it. Some of my favorites, (frozen pizza and frozen yogurt) are better than name brand.

17. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    I love no-name/generic brands as well! :) Nowadays, that's all I purchase with a few exceptions of name brand items such as ice cream and meats. I do understand what some people were saying about the difference in quality between these brands and name brands. However, I rather spend a little extra money on name brand foods than on name brand household products. I can't see myself purchasing a $6 cleaning spray when a generic brand cleaning spray can clean just as good.

18. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    yes, I agree with that. Recently when I went to the grocery store. The Hefty foam plates were on special. I had an in store coupon as well. However, I opted for the store brand plates that were still a bit cheaper than the Hefty, because they had divisons in the plate for various food items that I found useful. The Hefty brand was just a plain plate.