Putting on weight?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Methrend • Aug 27, 2012.

1. Methrend

MethrendNew Member

Threads:
    I notice there are a lot of threads about losing weight and such, but I have the opposite issue - I find it incredibly hard to gain weight.

Now, this probably would be seen as a godsend by a majority of people, but it's starting to be detrimental to me. I'm 20 years old, and approx 5'8" (~175cm), yet I only weigh 49kg. I know this isn't right. I can tell how thin I am. Now, it's not caused by any physical issues, nor is it causing health issues (as yet), but I am starting to not like it. I have almost zero obvious body fat, and next to no muscle mass. I want to change it but I'm not sure where to start. I already tend to eat a decent diet (though I do snack a fair bit - though that should surely be helping?) and get enough exercise to at least keep me fit (I'm heavily asthmatic so I tend to make sure I can still do decent walks/runs/etc)

Does anyone have any general tips for putting on weight? I want to build up some more muscle mass but not sure where to start with that, and I'm sure some extra body fat wouldn't hurt me.

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I instantly gain weight when I eat a lot of carbohydrates. Try packing on the carbs and protein. Protein bars or shakes should help you gain extra weight.

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Your metabolism can be a b*tch sometimes...

The same happens to me, I'm rather scrawny, and I don't gain weigh easily either. My eating habits are not the best, though.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Are you sure it's not due to any health issues? Have you gotten checked out by a doctor recently?

And a big tip I've seen before is to break up your meals instead 6-8 instead of a standard 3. You may not feel hungry outside of your normal meals so you don't think to eat, but if you intentionally eat several times during the day, you may be able to get more calories in.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Extra protein will help to bulk up your muscles and add weight without gaining too much fat. Drink a glass of whole milk in between meals - that will also help you to add on the pounds. Don't take in too much saturated fat, though, as that could cause health problems. You need to eat more calories, but it needs to be the right kind of calories.

6. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I use to be the same way. I could eat anything I wanted to and a lot of it and I would not gain any weight. Now, I have a problem with gaining weight and I want to lose it. I recently lost weight, just trying to keep off the pounds.

7. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    In a world where obesity lurks, have a low weight is just as risky to own excess body fat. Diet is the key component that can contribute to weight gain. An important aspect is split up into 8 dietary meals. That is, eating every 90 minutes, but in small quantities, we will increase the total caloric value of the diet without feeling constant fullness and digestive upset. Concentrate food calories is not easy but can be achieved by adding good quality ingredients and prepared dishes. In an attempt to lose weight are looking dishes with lots of volume and low concentration of calories, but here we must consider otherwise. Therefore, we can use hydrates combined preparations, protein and fat at the same time, for example stuffed pasta. I think that way you will begin to gain some weight. It's important that you make physical activity to balance all that calorie intake.

8. Methrend

MethrendNew Member

Threads:
    Definitely not a health issue - I was hospitalised last month because of my Asthma, and whilst in there they did a check over because it seemed odd I was so thin/light. According to the doctors, there's nothing wrong with me in those areas...

Thanks to everyone for the tips though, I'll see what I can do about splitting my diet up into extra meals and adding more protein to my intake (more eggs?)

9. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Nothing will add you weight more that the carbohydrates. Check this out form more information:

10. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Nothing will add you weight more that the carbohydrates. Check this out form more information:

11. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    To gain weight, you do not have to eat more, just lay down after you eat. The pounds will start to appear, in a short amount of time. Give the food time to digest a bit, but an hour or so after eating a meal, lay your body down and enjoy your weight gain. Good luck.

12. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to stay on a diet, but I am just simply not disciplined enough to stay on a very strict one. I work second shift, and when I get home, I have dinner. It's not a good idea to eat a full meal before going to bed. I do play tennis two or three times a week. That helps keep me from gaining more weight.

13. benn08

benn08Member

Threads:
    I'm similar to you, but not as thin. 5"8 (60kg). I too have a problem with being able to gain weight, but I thought about it as I grow older my metabolism will slow down so enjoy some foods now and watch your diet later on!

14. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    I have exactly the same problem as you. No matter what I eat and how much, it doesn't seem to affect me in terms of putting on weight. I do eat frequently in an attempt to put on weight, but then I guess I lose those calories since I'm always on the move and don't really have the time to rest much. I've read about breaking up meals to 6-8 instead of 3 and I'm going to try that to see if it helps.

15. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    Usually age plays a big part in weight. As you get older, your metabolism usually slows down. Smoking cigarettes can help you keep the weight off, but it also causes other problems including death. In the movie, "Breaking Away", the father asks a kid why he is so small if he eats so much. His reply is that he eats three times a day, and his metabolism eats five times a day. I'll bet that there are not many of you who are thin, over 50, and do not smoke, exercise or diet.

16. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I'm thin and everyone tells me, but I'm not too thin. I eat TONS of carbs and protein. In fact, I feel like that's all I eat sometimes. I never gain weight. Even during the times I don't exercise at all. Back in early college years, it was different. I was actually 2 sizes bigger than I am now. Not a lot, but it was a difference. I look back and the only things that ever made me gain were unhealthy eating habits. I used to drink soda (I think this was one of the biggest things for me as I used to drink it a few times a day, but it wasn't healthy at all) and eat pizza more often back then and I had much more time to rest and be really lazy. I am happy with my size now but I certainly don't know how to gain weight the healthy way. Good luck and stay healthy even if you are a little thinner than you'd like- it's more important to be healthy.

17. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    From your photo, it looks like you are still very young. I am 55, and let me tell you, my metabolism crawls. Diet and exercise work, but it seems that the older you get, the more religious you have to be at sticking with it.

#17Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  18. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    Well I agree with the suggestion of visiting your doctor. But I would also suggesting upping your protein intake. Maybe start the day off with a protein shake with whey or greek yogurt or a big meal of eggs. If you aren't sure where to begin with your workout, you might want to check out a program like p90x. It is quite challenging, especially for beginners, but it is pretty effective.

19. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    You should also remember that, while gaining weight, exercise is necessary. This is so that you gain muscle mass, which is heavier than fat. Doing so will not only increase your weight dramatically, but also make you more healthy. In addition, it will kick start your metabolism, allowing you to eat even more ;).

20. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Opt for calorie dense food like coconut, avocado, fatty beef and lamb. Eat high-fat foods on low-carb days and restrict your fat intake on high-carb days. On the high-carb days you should be eating plenty of potatoes, sweet and white.