Queer Pets?

Discussion in Pets started by razelia • May 14, 2012.

1. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Have you guys ever taken care of animals that some people... well, usually won't consider as the average pet?

Some queer pets I've taken care of are these multi-colored caterpillars (let them grow into butterflies before I set them free, and they were beautiful, both as caterpillars and as butterflies).

I've also taken care of other uncommon pets, like salamanders and beetles.

2. Animachine

AnimachineNew Member

Threads:
    I used to have ferrets back in the day. They were wonderful animals to have around, but they were hard to clean up after. All they ever wanted to do was get into trouble, and make a mess. The huge cage was the worst part, because most ferret owners, like myself, could never predict the amount of feces you're going to deal with. It was worth it at the time, but I don't think I could ever handle a pet like that again.

3. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    We recently had a caterpillar that turned into a butterfly that my daughter got through her Girl Scout troop. My son has a ball python, which isn't an extremely rare pet, but isn't all that common, either. I had a pet chinchilla when I was in high school (which, I might add, did not make a good pet - he was VERY skittish). I tried to keep toads as pets when I was younger, but they always escaped.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have a weird cat who likes to hide under the bed and only comes out at 8 p.m. Then he cries in my kitchen from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. He hates going outside and freaks out if you try to put him outside and close the door. He is sociable with my other pets, but hates people and hides all day and wont even come out to eat if we have company.

5. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Well, I had quite a few queer pets as a child. As an animal lover...anything that moved, at some point got adopted. I even started a snail farm when I was 5. However, as for the most queer pet, I would have to say it's my brother's ex's monkey. I am not sure of the exact name but it is an exotic mini monkey...that she decked out a whole area for. She lives in the city too.

6. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    We have pet squrriels, although there are times that I think we are they're pets rather than the other way around.

7. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    I've never really liked animals so I don't think me or my family really have ever taken care of any queer pets, to be honest. The queerest thing we probably took care of was most likely a Siamese cat, lol.

8. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    My kids were always bringing something home so we have had snakes, polywogs, frogs and even turtles that they found in the wild. We would let the kids have them for about a day or so and then release them back into the wild exactly where they had found them. We have also had a small blind bird that got brought home that we had to keep. We have also had a pet tarantula that was given to us by one of the kid's friends. Other than that, we have had the usual type of pets like dogs, fish, and guinea pigs.

9. Cheseloo

CheselooMember

Threads:
    I thought I was coming into this thread to read some hilarious post on homosexual pets...I guess not.

10. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    Yeah, I actually thought I would be reading things regarding gay pets and all. This thread mislead me but I found it quite amusing how a lot of pet owners have had different pets time after time. Ranging from a tarantula to blind birds.

11. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    Exotic pets is not something I have had a whole lot of experience with. I have fostered some animals for a wildlife rehab center like baby birds, an orphaned opposeum and a bunny. But these were not what I would have considered pets. These were temporary situations and my expsore to them was minimal in order to preserve their natural fear of humans.

12. greenmachine

greenmachineMember

Threads:
    I am with the other two posters thinking people were going to be posting about gay pets even though I have had dogs that liked humping other dogs weather they were male or female. I was laughing when i saw the thread. My nephew has a lot of weird pets like tarantulas and scorpions. Only odd pet I have ever had was a ferret for a brief time before moving from new Jersey to Iowa back in the 80's.

13. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    I used to raise potato beetles and earthworms. I also have an african clawed frog, which I guess could be considered queer. I used to have a pet tarantula and I think that's definitely considered queer. I've also raised snakes and lizards, which some might consider unusual. I was considering submitting my pet rat for this list but rats are actually pretty common pets, so...

14. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    Interesting to hear from someone who has one these in the past! I hear they aren't great around children is this the case?

15. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    When I was young I used to take care of ant lions. Like the name suggests, they eat ants. What they do is dig a hole in loose sand and just wait at the bottom of the hole for an ant to fall in. Then it grasps the ant in its jaws and does what Ant Lions do with ants. Since Ant lions remain in the same area, you can dig them up, put them in a cup of dirt, and they will be content as long as you feed them regularly. They will dig their hole in the cup and wait for food just like they do in nature.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have taken care of hamsters, cats, dogs, and a turtle. My bro used to take care of lovebirds, fishes and an arowana. My dad has lots of chickens as pets. So our family hasn't owned any "queer" pets yet. But we would love to take care of one given the chance.

#16Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  17. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    :D So I'm not the only one!!!!!!!!!

18. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had anything more exotic than hermit crabs, but my girlfriend's mother had a pet skunk when she was a child. Skunks are only legal to have in my state if they're brown and that's what she had. I'm not sure how she found it, through a breeder or not, but it makes me want to get a pet skunk too!

19. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    My kids have a friend who owns a tarantula. He asked my kids to babysit for him because he was going to be out of town for awhile. I really I'm an animal lover but this was to much. It just creeped me out really bad. The kids wanted to hold on to it and let it crawl all over. I told them absolutely not. I made them keep the thing in its container. Then afterwards they actually wanted to go to the pet store and buy one. Once again I vetoed that and said absolutely not.

Some of these posts did make me smile about the gay pet thing. I was wondering about that myself when I first read this.