Quick And Easy Food Products To Pair With Rice

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Mar 21, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We always have rice at home so it's fairly easy to whip up a quick meal since I only have to pop some food into the oven like sausages or steam up some frozen dumplings, sometimes I could just heat up a can of flavored tuna, but I've been eating too much of those same things lately so I'm looking to you guys for some ideas on other products I could buy that would be as good and as easy to prepare as those.

What do you guys have in your pantry that's very easy to just heat up and pair with rice?

2. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I always like sauteed green peppers, onions and mushrooms with some kind of thinly sliced meat in it. Doesn't matter what. It can be venison, beef, pork or chicken. The chicken tends to be more chunked than sliced, though. Sometimes I just cook the meats in with the vegetables. Or, rather, the other way around since then the meat usually goes into the pan first. Other times I batter and fry the meats in a wok or a deep fryer and just serve it over the rice with sauteed vegetables.
    Cabbage or broccoli with carrots is also good stir fried in the rice with a meat.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say almost any foods which are more "moist", be it sauteed vegetables or thinly sliced beef, chicken or pork. If you're too lazy to cook I'd just go with a can of baloney.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to sautee some vegetables with my rice and some cream of mushroom soup makes it a good meal, if you want to add some meat thats good it is your choice. Another quicky is a can of tomatoe soup and add your rice.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I keep powdered Chinese curry sauce in the cupboard to have with chips or rice in times of emergency. You just make it up with boiling water, give it a stir and it's good to go. It's exactly the same as the curry sauce my local chippy serves. One of my favourite frugal meals.

6. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I put meat and carrots in the crockpot and then eat that over rice. I also like cut veggies and meat as a stirfry over rice. I won't eat it but my boyfriend likes dollar store beef stew or just about any cream-soup over rice. He says the rice makes it more filling.

7. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I love steamed or sauted vegetables with rice. I saute ginger, garlic, onions, peppers, carrots ,broccoli and mushrooms. Another thing that is so good with rice is greens and cornbread and sweet potatoes. The potatoes and cornbread can be baked, so it is easy. You can also mix you rice meat and vegetables and make tornovers or pop a crust into a cupcake pan, fill it and bake it.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love my rice and pasta, that's why I could never be on a diet lol

On those days when we can't quite stretch our budget to a meat option, I like to get a whole load of veggies (ok, not exactly pantry stuff! But mushrooms, egg plant, marrow, pumpkin, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, green, red and yellow peppers and any others I fancy at the time) I chop up everything, parboil the sweet potatoes and the pumpkin, season thoroughly, generously dress them up in olive oil and leave them to roast in the oven. Simple but yummy, a bit like ratatouille without the sauce. We have this with pasta or rice :)

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I saw a video online where a guy had one of those Zojirushi rice cookers (which are like the Rolls Royce of rice cookers) that supposedly change the rice itself and make it softer while cooking than traditional cooking does. Anyhow, long story short, he put the rice in, some liquid and seasoning, and then just a tomato whole in the middle, and cooked it all together. When it opened, he mashed the tomato into the rice - so simple but it looked really good.

I sometimes make curried potatoes and peas, and serve that over rice too. I believe the original recipe I got that from calls for cooking ground beef along with the potatoes, peas and curry powder, but I leave out the beef to keep it simple and inexpensive.

For breakfast, I will sometimes go Asian, and saute some tomatoes and green onion together, then add scrambled egg and a splash of soy sauce and scramble it all together and serve over steamed rice.

If I want to make a "beans and rice" bowl, I cook instant rice and substitute half of the water with El Pato brand spicy tomato sauce. I mix the rest of the El Pato sauce with some black beans and warm them up too, and pour them over the rice, then garnish with some shredded cheese, green onions, and perhaps some sour cream.

10. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I have beans to go with rice and that is one of my favorite easy dishes to make. I'll also add a variety of vegetables like corn, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, and more. I have always enjoyed vegetables mixed in with rice and it's really healthy too. Just recently I ate chicken and rice which is easy to make as well but you can put any kind of meat you want. It's fun to experiment in the kitchen and try new easy recipes.

11. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I always have frozen peas or a frozen pea/carrot mixture in my freezer. I usually use it for rice related dishes or (occasionally) pastas. Nothing easier & as fresh as tossing them in & continuing to build a recipe.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For something quick there is nothing more satisfying than frying an onion and then adding the rice and scrambling an egg into it. I add soy sauce and and then whatever veggies are leftover or just plain egg fried rice is good to serve as side with anything else.

13. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    For quick and easy, I go for canned corned tuna and fried sunny side up eggs. I also like canned sardines (spanish style), spam or corned beef - as long as there a fried egg on top. :)