Quitting Starbucks

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by DancingLady • May 29, 2015.

1. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I decided to quit Starbucks and delete the app from my phone for 2 reasons.

Coffee is not organic-- for health reasons I really need to eat as organic as possible. Starbucks is the only coffee shop in my town that serves conventional coffee, which is full of pesticides, it's actually one of the dirtiest foods.

They also have NOTHING for a gluten free person to eat and their foods are all full of bad oils.

I will really miss the people there though. I left them a letter saying goodbye and letting them know how much I appreciate their outstanding service and smiling faces and let them know why I won't be back.

2. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I do love Starbucks (mostly for their fraps) but there are so many other coffee shops in my town that's more local, I usually end up going to the other coffee shops anyway. I wonder when Starbucks will come out with a line of Gluten-free snacks, since a lot of people (and their customers) are gluten-free. Who knows, maybe wait a few years and they'll have some gluten-free stuff!

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I certainly hope they do. If Starbucks gets on the health bandwagon with all the independent shops, I will go back.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good for you.. these places aren't healthy and going gluten free wouldn't make them healthy either. Not all that different from most things on a grocery store shelf, but the prices probably are, no? I've actually never been to one and never will. Trying to quit coffee now too (I only drink it at home).. I made it exactly 0 hours haha.. but I did have far less, so that's a start.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I never thought about it before but you're right that they probably do rely heavily on pesticides since they are such a big business and it's just more practical to do it that way. I think it's a good choice for you to quit it since not only could you lead a healthier lifestyle this way but also you get to save on a lot of money since their products are all so expensive anyway. I myself have not gone into a Starbucks in years and instead I just buy my coffee from lesser known shops at half the price or even better I just make coffee at home instead.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never liked Starbucks and don't like their corporate policies. Beside that their espresso is awful. I don't know people are so obsessed with it to be honest. In some places it's the only chain coffee shop to hang out in, but that makes it worse.

I'm glad you have seen the light. I still like the traditional cafes and prefer to support them if I can.

7. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to Starbucks in months, and really don't miss it at all. I just couldn't justify paying so much for a cup of coffee that I could easily make at home. Starbucks just became too convenient, and really that's all it was for me.

8. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Stopped getting takeaway coffee, mostly since it's 50x more expensive then just making it at home. I am lucky DancingLady as I don't have Celiacs disease so I don't have to worry about going gluten free!
    You CAN get organic coffee it's fairly common, I can't recall if Starbucks has an organic blend but for the price you are always better of making it at home.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say I'm one of the people who like Starbucks. I haven't really thought too deeply about any of those negative aspects of it. -and now that I haven't got access to it because I moved countries, I miss it even more. Maybe it's a good thing because we now brew our own filter coffee at home LOL

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My only complaint about Starbucks is that it's mighty expensive. It might be a cheap place to crash in in America or wherever, but for a developing country like mine, the place is just off-limits to ordinary laborers. It's hard to purchase anything below $4. Although white collar workers like me can afford it, since there are lots of local coffeeshops with equally impressive selections, we ended up going to the latter to avoid dishing out more than we can chew. Once in a while, though, Starbucks makes for a good venue for chilling out. One thing you have to note is that most coffeeshops aren't health-conscious. You better blend your own coffee using coffee beans of your choice to get the nutrients you need.

11. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I must say that I have been buying a lot of starbucks this year. I work in a department store that has a starbucks in the basement. I usually buy it just to get more energy on the job, but I don't buy their coffee, its so strong. I usually go for their Chai Latte and Double Chocolate Chip Frap. I normally take a small, but they have a mini now, so that makes my day! I probably have it once a week though, I kind of want that gold card >.<'

12. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    It’s probably a really good move. I don’t drink Starbucks coffee, but I do drink their teas and occasionally eat their food, as it’s often convenient to do so. But I have noticed that their food isn’t particularly healthy, so I’m trying to cut my visits back. There’s a great little place not too far from where I live. It’s slightly pricier, but I prefer the idea of supporting a local business, the overall quality is better (loose-leaf tea!), their wifi is just as good, and I appreciate that the atmosphere is a lot quieter. Plus I get a discount for living here, so it’s not that much more expensive in the end.

13. Avocadogirl

AvocadogirlNew Member

Threads:
    Whenever I go to Starbucks, I am amazed by how expensive it is. I want to get something that I could easily make at home for less than a dollar or buy elsewhere for maybe three dollars, and it costs five dollars! I always thought people were exaggerating about how expensive Starbucks is, but it's ridiculous. As for health concerns, I could make some of the things healthier if I tried. Unfortunately, I go in with the mindset of "if I'm going to be paying five dollars for a cup of coffee, it had better be as delicious and unhealthy as I can make it." I like the atmosphere, and I have a few gift cards so I still do go occasionally. I just will never be one of those people who go to Starbucks every day.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that Starbucks has an app. This is getting too far - commercial establishments have their own apps where you can check the menu and prices? I guess so. Technology really amazes me and there are times I feel that I am being left behind by it.

15. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Not only can you check the menu and prices with their app, but you can also add a reloadable giftcard and use the app to pay for your purchase. They just scan the app right from your phone and the amount deducts from your giftcard (or the giftcard refills automatically if you have it linked to a credit card or bank account).

16. Avocadogirl

AvocadogirlNew Member

Threads:
    The Starbucks app sounds ridiculous, but is actually quite useful. I registered my gift card online, and then lost it a few days later. Since it was registered, I could use it on the app or freeze the card so that no one else could use it! It also makes you a member of the Starbucks rewards program, which gives you a free drink of any price when you sign up, on your birthday, and I think every twelve drinks. Then, if you drink Starbucks enough, you get the green card and then the gold card which gives you fancy things like free refills. Just don't get carried away. It could easily become a waste of money if you spend too much on Starbucks. Buy twelve, get one free isn't exactly the best deal there has ever been.

17. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    Good call, I think it is very unfair that gluten free products are not more readily available. vegetarian products are available by law and that is a choice but being gluten intolerant isn't. So expensive in there too, I like coffee but I am not paying that much for it!

18. Basinator

BasinatorNew Member

Threads:
    Health has never been a concern of Starbucks. Their motto is basically "If it tastes good, then you will buy it. You won't care what we put inside it.". As long as they make revenue, they do not care.
    I love coffee. It has become a part of my life. That's why I make it at home. Every day. And it is even better than Starbucks' coffee.

19. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I buy organic beans at the local food co-op for $8.15LB. There are 5 independent coffee shops in my town that serve organic coffee and espresso beverages and 2 that have gluten free, less processed foods for only 5 cents more than what Starbucks charges for their unhealthy ones.

I go to coffee shops more for the people and the place than the product, but I still need to take care of my health.

20. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    That's a really nice thing to do with a letter, I'm sure they appreciated it. Not much of a coffee person, I get my caffeine through energy drinks, usually Red Bull. I don't like coffee at all actually, but it does smell nice. Starbucks is also pretty expensive, so hopefully you'll end up saving some money as well.