Raw food for weightloss and better health

Discussion in Food & Drink started by maddie • Nov 15, 2012.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    When I say raw food don't think raw meats..I am talking about raw veggies, fruits, nuts, sprouts, and other stuff you can eat raw.
    When you eat a whole lot of vegetables and fruits you tend to feel satiated because of the bulk without consuming too many calories.
    You increase your fiber intake.
    You help your system clean out and clear out all toxins.
    Grains as in bread or rice tends to get digested fast and increase your insulin levels and this gets stored as fats - remember insulin is storage hormone.
    Your diet gets rich in micronutrients and this prevents a whole lot of diseases while improving your immunity and general health.

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The problem with this is that pastured meat, eggs and offal are among the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. I see no reason for cutting out meat from my diet. People who eat raw often have vitamin and mineral deficiencies as the nutrients in meat are hard to obtain from other foods.

3. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I think the article you linked was very balanced. It's main emphasis was on how incorporating raw produce in your diet can increase your health and well-being as well as aid in fat loss. It also stated that a diet linked to only raw foods has been shown to have negative health effects. I think supplementing an already well balanced diet with raw foods can definitely be beneficial.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It was a great article. I recently switched to a vegetarian diet. It has done wonders for me. I don't think it's for everyone, but I feel so much better. I don't think I go could completely or even 80% raw. I do love salads, but that's it for me.

5. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I do this during my cleanse throughout spring and summer. I clean out all of the junk I ate from September to March and focus on eating fruits, vegetables and chocolate soy. I've read that there are people who are just raw eaters. One family only consumes apples. Apples, apples and apples. One day, they turned into apples (I made the last part up).

6. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I think this article was very interesting. I incorporate a number of raw foods in my healthy eating plan. I think its a great balance when consuming cooked foods.

7. EmoPopsicle

EmoPopsicleNew Member

Threads:
    Bear in mind that anything in excess is not beneficial for you in terms of health. Just keep a balanced diet of veggies and meat, or if you're a vegetarian, a meat substitute, and you should be fine in the sense that you are getting the nutrients needed for everyday life. Also keep in mind that cooked foods are sometimes necessary for certain nutrients that can only be produced because of chemical reactions that happen in the raw foods.

8. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard the term flexitarian being thrown around. I don't know an exact definition, but for me it's eating meat sometimes. The majority of the time I try to stick to vegetarian. We follow a clean eating meal plan and just try to eliminate as much processed food as possible.

9. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is also about healthy eating not necessarily raw. having said that I have lost four pounds in the last two weeks following a 80 /20 % raw and cooked diet. I feel light and good. My skin is looking great now..
    You can get all the proteins you want from lentils. It is not necessary to eat meat. I do eat poultry and fish. But that is a very small portion of m y diet. I consume a lot of home made yogurt which a great

and wonderful for your system.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I know some people who swear by their raw diets... but every single one of them claims to be 75% raw or 80% raw, meaning that they still have a small bit of meat and/or cooked food in their diet. I don't see how it could be beneficial to go 100% raw.

11. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Raw foodist only recommend 80% raw. I like to get my proteins from lean meat and fish. Cooked lentils are another great source of protein. Not all vegetables should be eaten raw.. some really need to be steamed to get out the flavors and micro nutrients. I don't over cook stuff. Most sensible dietitians recommend having a mix of both raw and cooked food.. The proportions of raw food being higher.

12. gwydion

gwydionNew Member

Threads:
    You have to remember that humans have been cooking food for a very long time. Indeed, humans made a trade-off between gut size and brain size. We lost a big portion of our guts compared with other animals to get a bigger brain. We are therefore not very good at digesting food and cooking is a means of pre-digesting so that we can extract more nutrients from what we eat. There are some vegetables, like broccoli, that are pretty useless to our diet unless we cook them.

Weight loss with raw food works because to gain just the amount of calories needed for a day on a purely raw food diet you need to graze constantly all day and even then most people will not get enough nutrition so they lose weight dramatically. There have been a number of studies and people on just raw food lose weight dramatically, become anaemic, have problems concentrating and lose lean muscle mass.

A component of wild food in the diet, particularly fruit and vegetables is good, but it is not a good diet if everything you have is raw. And some raw food (like hazelnuts) can be detrimental, particularly to children if not cooked.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have felt great switching to a vegan diet. I thought I would miss meat, but I really don't. I don't feel weak or scattered. Giving up dairy wasn't a problem because I'm lactose intolerant. I not a strict vegan since I occasionally eat yogurt in the morning. Yogurt doesn't seem to give me a problem. I mostly eat lentils and bean for protein. Not only do I feel better and feel more satiated with each meal, my grocery bill has dropped dramatically.

14. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I eat a mix of raw and steamed vegetables, fruit, nuts, cooked grains and legumes, as well as a little cheese here and there, and it works for me. I grew up in an area where seafood is plentiful, and I don't think I will ever completely give it up, but I just feel better with the raw stuff and my body functions better. The only thing I would add to the original post above is that it is also important to drink a lot of water.

15. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely agree with drinking water. I drink upto four liters of water per day. With the loads of fiber I am consuming .. I need a lot of water. Sea food is excellent.. Especially those rich in omega 3 fatty acids. I life fresh sea food.. where I live all i can get is some frozen stuff.. So I have very little sea food in my menu.