Re-Gifting - Do you think it's acceptable?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by GemmaRowlands • Sep 1, 2014.

1. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Re-Gifting is where you receive a gift from somebody, and will then gift it to somebody else at a later date. Is this something that you would be happy to do, or do you think it is wrong when somebody has given you a gift in person?

I will sometimes do this, for two reasons:

1) I will often give people chocolate that I am given either for my birthday or Christmas. I am always given a lot of it but I don't eat much of it, so will give it to other people as gifts instead, who I know would be able to make much better use of it.

2) Sometimes I am given things like bath bombs, and I don't have a bath, only a shower. So that's an obvious one, as I would never be able to use those. I always give those to my best friend because her birthday is right after Christmas, and I know for a fact that she likes them.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it to be honest - as long as you're very careful not to gift people with the exact thing that they had given to you!

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like re-gifting as I am quite sentimental when it comes to presents. I like to cherish the thought that another person thought of me and took the time to get me a gift. If I can't eat a certain item or don't have any use for it, I will offer it to other family members or friends when they visit me, but I don't regard that as re-gifting, but rather a practical approach to not letting things go to waste.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I honestly would not like if someone regifted what I gave them, however I did regift a few gifts before... I think that if the person that gave you the present is not as close to you, and you were giving it as a present to someone that that person does not know at all, there is a very remote chance of that person finding out you regifted what they gave you. For example, one of my aunts gave me a make up kit for my birthday, knowing that I have a lot of make up already, I'm pretty frisky for choosing what kind of makeup I use and I would not use it.... When I went to the store to exchange it for something else, they told me they did not exchange make up items. So I simply took the make up kit and regifted it to one of my cousins from the other side of the family.

4. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I don't generally like to regift but on some things I do make the exception. Like you said if I got bath bombs or a lotion I don't like the scent to, it would just sit in my house and rot so I tend to give that stuff away. I wouldn't tell the person that gave it to me and wouldn't want to know someone did that with a gift I got for them. But like I said there are some excuses.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    For me it depends on the gift and who gave it to me. I would never re-gift something given by special love ones like gifts from my children, husband, siblings and really close friends (I'm also the sentimental type). As for other gifts, if I'm not going to use it then might as well give it someone that I know will do. :)

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is acceptable, but not for close friends and family who can tell if it a personal gift or not. If there is no one to give it to, then I give to a friend or goodwill.
    One does have to be careful, so only re gift something that is generic and no obviously re gifted and check the price tag is off. I saw a friend do this once and never checked the item, only to get caught out with the price ticket on the bottom.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I'm OK with re-gifting if it's for a not-too-close friend or just an acquaintance.
    It's natural that we don't like every single gift that we get, so the only two choices are either re-gifting them or letting them gather dust in storage, I'd much rather see them get some use, not to mention the cost-saving (but that's secondary here).

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Re-gifting is a great way of saving money. Most people receive gifts they do not like but to avoid offending they giver, they JUST accept it. For such gifts which you won't be using or don't like even if they could be useful to you, can be given to someone else who'll both like the gift and use it.

I've had people give me gifts which were given to them by other people and I too, do the same thing. If I get something I don't like [for a gift] , I pass it on rather than have it gather dust on some shelf or closet.

9. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, this is actually quite a "tricky" topic of discussion, but I'm up for it!

To be honest, I've practiced this more than once for basically the same reasons that you have listed, and I've seen talk shows and heard even persons I am acquainted with, debate about whether "re-gifting" is a practical solution to not having any use for a particular gift, or whether it was a demonstration of ingratitude to the person who had given you that gift.
    I have also wrestled with these thoughts in my mind, and have yet to come to a definite decision on the matter.
    I can see where re-gifting can be practical, because there are certain gifts that are given to me that I have absolutely no use for, but for which I do know someone else who would love and appreciate it as though I had gotten it for them myself.
    On the other hand, I can also appreciate the perspective that considers the person who has actually given me the gift in the first place, and who would probably appreciate that I 'd be able to report to him/her that I was able to make good use of what he/she had given to me.
    However, I have to be honest! and in the process, I know persons at either side of this thought equation are going to disagree with me, but here goes...
    I think that if one is concerned about being genuine in re-gifting, then one has three options:

1. Tell the person who has given you the gift that right now, you won't be able to use the gift that was given, or that you personally don't think that that gift suits you, and that you know of someone else, however, who would love it, and that you would like to make use of the gift by giving it to that person; or

2. You could tell the person to whom you are "re-gifting" the gift in question, that you have, in fact, received such gift from another person who gave it to you originally, but that you had no use of it, and knew that the current person, would really love it; OR

3. You could do both options 1 and 2, ie., tell them both!

In the end, you might end up with people who will look at you "differently", and you lend yourself to the possibility of someone thinking that you are truly ungrateful, but if it makes your conscience a bit clearer at night, then I'd say, "go for it!" Hey, you might even be helping the original "gifter" to understand exactly what you like, get you a better gift next time, and then get to know you more! Try it!

10. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think it is more than acceptable. Let's face it , we all have been given a gift that we don't like, doesn't fit or basically just don't need. What do you do with it? There isn't really much other than to re-gift it. There are certain things that I always re-gift if need be... chocolate for example. I actually can't even have chocolate for health reasons so If I have a birthday or holiday coming up I just add it to a gift I' already planning on giving. I won't use it and the person I'm giving it to gets an extra gift!!!

Everyone's happy :) :) :)

Danyel :)

11. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I will only re-gift if the person who I'm giving the gift to does NOT, in any way shape or form, know the person that I got the gift from. And ideally they have to live far away from each other...spares me the awkwardness of it all :/

12. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    I would rather re-gift something that I don't have a use for than throw it away, but I don't do it often, and I'm very careful in the process. I only gift it to people who are in no way connected to the original gifter, so that the gifter never finds out. Usually though, I find a use for whatever I'm given, or sometimes I donate unwanted stuff to charity instead, because that seems more selfless in my mind.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think re-gifting is much better than the gift just being stuck in your closet or drawer, as long as the sender will never know about it. It's like hitting 2 birds with 1 stone in the sense that you dispose of what you don't need and at the same time, you also make others happy with what you have given them. I actually have re-gifted a few items too before.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I only regift items that I know serve more as giveaways than personalized gifts. If I knew the person spent some good time and effort thinking of and looking for a gift then I wouldn't regift it just out of principle, but if it's just something that is given t as a simple token of goodwill then I have no problem regifting them, especially if it's food since it's much more practical to give them away rather than allow them to spoil at home.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think re-gifting is okay, as long as it's done carefully. I also don't re-gift items to close family or friends. Some of the "off" items come in handy for a casual gift, if you end up needing one (someone brings a friend to Christmas dinner and you have a lotion or soap someone gave you that you will never use. Just make sure no one at the table gave it to you, lol). You can also donate gifts you receive that you don't like or can't use. If you have no one to regift them to, you can always give them to charity.

16. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I see no problem with this personally. If the original giver put a lot of thought and effort into it, then it's probably something that you will want to keep or use. However if it is simply a box of chocolates of wine, then I see no problem with re-gifting. I've done it myself a few times, and I know that some gifts I've been given have been re-gifted items. I also would not feel bad personally if an item I had gifted was passed on.

17. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't think it's a problem when it's:

1. A generic gift. If it is just bath bombs and whatnot, then I use this type of gift for people I don't know very well or I'm not sure what to get them, etc. I feel like people give them to me for the same reason. I don't think that's a problem.

OR

2. Something that isn't personal to the gift-giver, but that would be super personal coming from me. As in, I was gifted something that isn't super special...has no special meaning, etc....but I know someone it is PERFECT for. Someone who would love it way more than I do, etc. Again, I think it's better to pass this type of item on.

18. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Is buying pre-made food and giving it to a sibling or friend, unacceptable as a gift?! No it's not. So re-gifting a old gift, and giving it to another human, is perfectly fine even if one explains where it came from. It is better in the hands of another who may want or need your gift, than to leave it unused and later thrown away.

19. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't think that it's acceptable. But if you are really not able to find a use on that gift and if the person to whom you would give that gift would find it really fascinating and useful, then I think it's descent, and so acceptable. First, because you are not wasting it. Second, you are making it useful, only that in someone else's preference.

20. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I am re-gifter only under certain circumstances. I will only recycle a gift If it's never been opened or used. I will also only give it to someone if I can for sure remember who gave it to me. That way I don't accidentally give the gift to the person who originally bought it or someone who knows that I got it from them. Regifting can be acceptable you just have to be careful not to be tacky with it.