Re-purposing Old Jeans

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Lupa06 • Dec 17, 2015.

1. Lupa06

Lupa06New Member

Threads:
    Once upon a time, I used to donate all my old jeans or give them to family members, than came along my hubby who somehow tears his jeans all the time!!! Therefore, I can not donate these, but I hate throwing out clothes in the garbage. So I decided to re-purpose them. I began searching the internet for Diy old jean projects, and lo and behold thousands of projects appeared.
    Since than I have made bibs for my girls, aprons for family members and even little purses for children.

What do you do with your old jeans? Share your ideas and projects.

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I used to do the same thing too. I have donated many pairs of jeans but when I was younger I used to cut old jeans down into jean shorts. I think when I was about 12 I turned an old pair of jeans into a purse. I now keep old jeans to make patches for husbands jeans when he puts holes in the knees. Here is a great website that gives crafts to make with old jeans.

3. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I was just going to say the same things. You could make patches or purses with old jeans. How about using it to make a blue Jean skirt? You might want to YouTube in how to do that. I have scraps of blue jeans given to me so I could practice my sewing stitches on the sewing machine. Or how about making a blue Jean hat?

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not just jeans but also the boots. My nieces were so glad when I brought along some of my old boots and jeans in a reunion. Those who received were surprised that my old jeans were still in mint condition. And the boots? They love it because they are now in fashion again. This gives me an idea to sell my old clothes (when I would need money maybe).

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You could make some shorts. Won't need any needlework, just a pair of scissors. That's how I re-purpose most of my old jeans.

There also are numerous other ways to re-purpose old jeans. There's some information on the site linked to below if you are interested:

Loved that one best.

6. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    These are some good ideas but I usually wear my jeans until I need to throw them away. Reading this thread though has given me an idea to save usable pieces and make a quilt out of the back pockets, yeah!

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've not got a creative bone in my body, sadly. So I usually either cut them to make them into shorts. Either that or I simply donate them to charity.

8. Lupa06

Lupa06New Member

Threads:
    These are some amazing ideas, especially the one about fabric "roads" for toddlers. My girls make a huge mess in the car everytime, I must makes these for our car. Thanks for all the great tips!

Recycle those jeans YEAH!!!

9. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I turn my old jeans into shorts and sometimes you can dye them! If they are a light shade, I buy Rit and dye them to bring some new life to the jeans. It saves me from buying new ones. You can also make pencil pouches, purses and bags too.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I'm like PurplePen88 when it comes to re-purposing old jeans. We save it to patch other jeans when they become old and need patching. I really like jeans and I get mine at thrift shops where you can find them at a good price-even Lee jeans!

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I am not much for repurposing old clothes other than turning them into rags and jeans aren't much different and in many cases I even would discard jeans much quicker since they are a bit harder to deal with in terms of cutting or tearing them up, but it have made some projects in the past just to try it out wherein I made old jeans into handbags and I did feel very good about the final product I was able to come up with. Nowadays I mostly just donate them because they are usable and I think it would be better if someone else just used them as pants rather than me keeping it for minor tasks.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, jeans can be easily made into other things like shorts or coin purses. Although I would prefer to go to the tailor to have it done since I can't do those things myself.