Ready Made Pie Crusts?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by justusforus • Jan 30, 2015.

1. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say whether name brand or generic store brand, I learned something new about ready made pie crusts. They usually come 2 in a box, just let them get to room temperature, put them in a pie tin and you are all set. I never used them and then tried them for a homemade pot pie...then I tried them for a quiche....what an amazing product. They taste great and look home made. Do you ever use the ready made crusts?

2. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I usually make my own as I do think they're better; but, yeah, I use the ready-mades as well, often keeping a pack around for when I need to make something as quickly as possible--or for when I'm just being downright lazy.:)

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only use ready made pie crusts because I don't enjoy making pie crust by hand.
    They're a great convenience product and a time saver.

4. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I pretty much exclusively use ready made pie crusts, haha. I generally use the graham cracker type when I make cheesecake, because crushing up graham crackers and spreading them into a spring form pan takes forever. And, for some reason, when ever I use a spring form to try and make cheesecake, it leaks! Ugh! :mad:

But you can also make pretty much any pie you could think of with ready made crusts, and it saves A LOT of time when baking. My special is a no bake chocolate pie, so with using the ready made crust, it's done in 15 minutes! :D

5. saastil

saastilNew Member

Threads:
    I've also used the 2-in-a-pack pie crusts and I love them. I usually flour the counter, lay the crust out, and roll over it with a floured rolling pin to make them a little thinner, which I prefer. Plus then I have extra to trim off and use to make designs on the top!

6. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't be without these during the holidays. When I was younger my mother use to have to make the pie crust for her Pumpkin Pie from scratch. She started using the ready made pie crust when they first came out and found them to be a time saver. I now do the same thing myself because I now carry on the tradition of making her Pumpkin Pie. Ready made pie crust are a great invention whomever thought of creating such a product should be commended, these cut down on so much time in the kitchen.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the convenience of ready made as that is usually the time consuming part of making a pie. I do like making pastry myself, but I have to be in the mood and often I get distracted so it gets put off. With a ready made one I can concentrate on the filling which is much more creative.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am yet to use ready-made pie crusts for future baking projects. Pies have never been my forte since I find the process of making one rather tiring. I often come across ready-made pie crust products from Pillsbury and Betty Crocker but never really give them much thought. It's about time I start considering baking pies now that making one is no longer as taxing as it used to be.

9. haitch

haitchNew Member

Threads:
    Always. Fantastic value and so convenient for making just about whatever pastry you need. I rarely ever make pastry unless it needs to be flavoured differently. Overall it is very useful to use and tastes fairly good for something that is pre-made and ready packaged.

10. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    I actually used a ready made pie crust tonight for a new recipe for chicken pot pie I made. This was my first experience using a ready made pie crust, and overall I was satisfied with it. I am not too skilled at making them from scratch, so I really don't think I can complain considering how easy this one was to use;)

It came in a two pack where each was individually wrapped, and it was rolled up. When I un-rolled it, the inside edge where the roll started was cracked in a few spots, so I did have to take a little bit of time to press it back together and roll it with a rolling pin, but overall it was still way better than making my own, and it tasted good too!