Real Butter or Margarine

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Pocs • Jul 31, 2012.

1. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    For years we have went back and forth on which was better to eat or cook with and which is healthier.
    Now I ask you, which do you prefer? I'm not talking about those healthy new alternatives they have on the market nowadays. Just real butter and margarine.

I myself prefer butter, preferably sweet cream, but any will do, for cooking, baking and taste. Margarine has a oily after taste, to me and certain foods just don't taste the same with it.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use real butter for spreading on my bread and margarine for cooking. I don't notice the taste of margarine when it's used for cooking, but I notice what I'm putting on my bread so I only eat real butter and I only use real butter in Alfredo sauce and cake frosting. When taste counts , I use butter. That sounds like a cheesy commercial, but I'm serious.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I choose real butter over margarine any day. Butter is a natural product. Margarine is like "American cheese product." It looks like the original, but has an artificial or taste. I haven't eaten margarine in many, many years.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Definitely butter for me. The only time I ever use margarine is when making pastry. There's just no comparison when it comes to taste. Although I'm watching my weight, I never buy low fat butter - it just doesn't have the same taste, whatever the adverts claim. I'd rather have a small helping of butter than an inferior substitute.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    To be honest, I've never been able to notice the difference between the two. I don't know if it's my tongue or what, but they taste the same to me! :p Although we generally use butter for toasts or when cooking something. If there isn't any, we open the margarine jar.

6. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    I buy the real butter and we cook with the virgin olive oil. I also buy a small soft butter container for emergency when I run out of butter. My family will usually know when I do not use the butter in the mash potatoes. But as you know you do run out at sometime. I love the butter on my bagels.

7. iamPIN

iamPINNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer the real butter because it is creamier and tastes better. And when the two cools down, margarine is greasier than the butter.

8. wickerbaskets

wickerbasketsNew Member

Threads:
    Real butter is much better for you than margarine. Margarine is very artificial and with something like butter, it's natural and your body knows how to process it. Your body does not know how to process margarine because it is an artificially modified fat. Stick with butter.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Definitely real butter for me. I don't feel like margarine is as natural and it certainly doesn't taste as good. I would rather use the real thing in moderation than overdo it with the fake stuff.

10. LiquidatorBrunt

LiquidatorBruntMember

Threads:
    Margarine is only a few molecules away from plastic. Nobody should be eating that stuff! Obviously I prefer butter. In practice I hardly use butter opting for a more bovine friendly alternative of olive oil.

11. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    Not that either is very healthy, but real butter doesn't have as much cholesterol build up that margarine does. So I'd pick that out of the two.

12. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    Butter unhealthy?

What ungodly quantities are you eating for it to have any adverse effects on you? O.O

As for the original question. I'm with everyone else, butter tastes better and isn't 90% plastic; clear winner.

13. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Margarine mostly for spreading and I rarely use butter. I'm also not such a good cook, so I've never used margarine for cooking. I believe I might try one day after comparing thoughts on this thread.

14. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Real butter! I try to get the unsalted version of real butter. The flavor of real butter is just so much better than margarine. I also try to cook with different oils when I can instead of butter. I also use a combination of the two when cooking.

15. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    I've heard a pun before; choosing margarine or butter is like choosing cancer or heart attack.

Sounds a bit far-fetched, but I think what it meant was that neither is actually completely dangerous or healthy. It depends on the amount you take in, which for me is not much. My family personally uses butter because we didn't like the idea that margarine is artificial.

16. JenVarsity

JenVarsityMember

Threads:
    I prefer to cook with butter. I prefer to bake with margarine. The cookies tend to stay softer longer when you cook with margarine. I like to eat my toast with butter...but prefer my bagels with margarine. When I make flaked potatoes I actually us both butter and margarine...I like the taste of the real butter, I think it forms a creamier potato, however, my husband like the COLOR of the margarine. So I put in a tablespoon of margarine for the buttery color and the rest is real butter.

JenVarsity

17. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    When I rarely need it, I'll use real butter for anything over margarine. Sure margarine can be cheaper, but it's rather greasy compared to butter. I prefer the texture of butter over margarine as well.

18. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    Butter, all the way. I have tried margarine a few times but it just can't compare to butter. I just prefer the fact that I know what is in butter. It is a natural product.

19. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I like butter better, pardon me. But I am happy that it is kind of settled, that butter is healthier than margarine, although I do like to try "I Can't Beieve it's Not Butter", every now and then. I like the taste as well. So let's see what the next scientific research study will bring out about the two in the future.

20. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Between the two? Butter all the way! It might be a bit more expensive, but it's worth it. A better tasting product means you usually don't need as much because it is so flavorful in and of itself. A good quality coconut oil is also a big favorite of mine. I confess, I think I use coconut oil more than butter.