Real Christmas Tree or artificial?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Zyni • Nov 7, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Which do you prefer, real Christmas trees or artificial ones? I used to go with real, but they are expensive, messy, and I don't know if it's a good idea to cut down all those trees. I use an artificial one now, because I got a really good deal on it one year when we were really low on funds. Now, I want to get a new one for this year, which will probably be artificial. I may just use it once more, and wait until after Christmas to get one half off during the post holiday sales. Which do you use/prefer?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer fake.. I too don't believe in cutting down trees for the sake of decorating. And for such a short time. I also have cats and it would be beyond messy anyway. I do love the scent though, so I buy fragrance oils that I hide in some of the ornaments to give off the scent of a real tree. Easy peasy and no tree dies or goes to waste :)

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love real Christmas trees, and I think that I have never had a fake one. I lived in Idaho where a lot of Christmas trees are grown. Most Christmas trees come from a christmas tree farm, where they are specially grown and groomed to become a christmas tree; so it is not like the olden days when people actually went out into the woods and chopped down a tree for christmas.
    The ones you find at the store are already cut down, so it is not like you are saving a tree by purchasing a fake one. These are either going to end up decorated in someone's house, or burned at the local garbage dump if they do not sell. Only if you actually intended to go out and find a tree and cut it down your self are you saving a tree; and most of the time, it is illegal to jut wander out into the forest and chope down a christmas tree.
    The nice thing about a fake tree is that you can leave it up as long as you want and it i not going to dry up and catch fire, like a live tree can do.
    What I will probably do this year is get one of the little Norfolk Pines from Lowes and that way I can have a live tree, and have it looking beautiful in the house for the rest of the year, too.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fake Christmas tree for me. You buy one and can reuse it forever. I bought the FAKE Christmas tree I have now and plan to have around for the next 10 or so Christmases more than 5 years ago. What got me to buy it then was the fact that it was really cheap. I think since they serve the same function as real trees, more people should be opting for them [the fake ones]. It's good for the environment and great for the wallet too!

5. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    You are right Denis hard that buy one and reuse it forever. I also prefer the Fake one and always used the fake tree because I think if we will use the original then for decorating we have to cut its branches and much more. That is not a good idea.Guys let me know about your planes for this December and Christmas?

6. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Artificial Christmas trees are what are used in my family. Not only is it least expensive but it's better for decorating and you can store it and reuse it easily. I don't think I'll ever buy a real tree because it's just not needed. Besides, there are enough plants in my house anyway. Don't need a real tree. Let it stay outdoors. We need all the trees out there for the sake of our oxygen.

7. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I prefer the real Christmas tree but it is difficult for me to afford it. They are just too expensive in my opinion. Therefore, we compromise ourselves for the artificial tree. However, the feeling and the atmosphere towards Christmas is not so natural. It is so pleasant to enjoy the smell of Christmas. It is not a bad idea to get a cheap real tree during the post-holiday sales.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never experienced having a real tree at home so I don't really have much to compare it to, but if content with having just an artificial tree at home, though I would like it very much to be able to have a real tree indoors just to see if it feels any different. I'm okay with having an artificial tree because it's just more practical. I could reuse it every year and it looks just as nice. I suppose the major difference would be what I imagine to be a pine smell but I could live without that.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Growing up, we had real trees. The scent is nice, but there are ways to still get the scent. A friend of mine gave me a Christmas tree scented candle one year as a gift, so we use that. There are also other ways (oils, sprays, potpourri, etc.) to get the fresh scent without having a real tree. I do think I'll wait until post Christmas discounts start popping up before I get a new artificial tree. I'd rather spend money on presents before Christmas.

10. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    While I certainly prefer real trees, I am almost always forced to use a fake one because I have always had animals. Cats especially love the pine scent of a real tree and will often want to play in them. Then of course I have had male dogs who always want to make it their business to try and do their 'business' on my tree because it's as real as the ones outside. I have had to settle for using store bought trees and using oil burners and candles to get the lovely pine scent that I love.

11. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    We grew up with real trees and they are so "romantic", I guess. It was a nice tradition to go to the local Christmas tree lot run by the Boy Scouts and pick out a tree. But it is a hassle to haul it home, put it in the water thing, clean up the needles etc., plus they are like $70. We have had a fake tree for about five years now. It's so much easier and saves a ton of money over the long run. I haven't missed the pine scent since I've been without it so long, but perhaps this year I will buy some pine needle essential oil.

12. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Hy gays! I would like to prefer a fake one because. I can decor it as i want without harming nature.But I also had a small garden in front of my house.I also used to decor some trees in simple way, which offers me a pleasant feeling. I love my garden and would never tolerate any impairment at any cost. So fake are the best options.:rolleyes:

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never had a real tree, but I was volunteering in a center that had a real tree and the mess each day I had to sweep up all the debris and it was hard work. It looks nice, but the up keep is not easy and reminds you why they should be outside. I think artificial is safer and less work and eco-friendly and cheaper in the long run. Also it's safer with the lights and if you have pets or children.

14. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Our family has always used a fake one. To be honest, I really want to try and set up a real one. Should be tons of fun preparing it. But whenever Christmas nears, we all tend to become really lazy and just the thought of setting up a real Christmas tree exhausts us.

15. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Years ago we always used to buy real Christmas trees, but overtime they became so expensive, that about 10 years ago we opted to buy an artificial tree and have been using this ever since. It is much more economical this way. Furthermore, these trees are less work since we don't have to be constantly sweeping up around the tree when bits and pieces fall off. I do like the smell of the real trees though, but having an artificial tree is a definite saving as they last a very long time. Then too, this is one less item we have to think about buying when the Christmas season comes around. We just focus on the gifts.

16. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are sentimental when it comes to occasions so we do not scrimp on buying a real pine tree for our Christmas tree. It is very expensive since it comes with a metal stand that is also a container for water so the pine tree will exude the scent which we love. But some 10 years ago, the cutting of pine trees was prohibited by the department of environment so it is illegal to sell pine trees for Christmas tree. We had to buy the plastic tree which we still have now. But if ever there would be fresh pine trees again, we are willing to buy.

17. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I love the smell and the look of a real tree and that's what we've used a lot in our household. However, if our budget doesn't allow us to get a real tree for Christmas, we'll definitely pull out the fake one. The fake ones are great on the wallet and that's what I like about the artificial ones.

18. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to live in north Idaho, and we always had real trees as a Christmas tree. It was a family thing when the kids were growing up. We would all go out in the woods and find the tree we wanted, and saw it down, and then we tied a rope on it and dragged it home through the snow, just like you see in the movies. We loved the smell of fresh pine or fir trees, and even though it is more work sweeping up the needles , it is worth it for that wonderful woodsy smell.
    It is also true that a live tree is apt to be more likely to cause a fire; but not if you are careful and use proper care of the tree. It needs to be in a cooler area, and always needs water or wet sand in the base , and it has to be taken down when it starts to dry out.
    However, if you live in an area where pine or fir trees do not grow naturally, then they can be very expensive to buy for no longer than they are used.
    Just getting a wreath made out of live pine or fir will also help the house to smell wonderful, and they are cheaper to buy.
    We do not usually celebrate Christmas anymore, but if we did, we would just get a fake tree, and be done with it. It is cheaper overall, and can be re-used each year. Some people even put them away decorated, and just take them out for the holiday season each year.

19. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    I prefer the smell and feel of a real pine tree. But my sister had one that had a couple sacs of praying mantis babies. Because of how warm her house was, they thought it was spring and woke up. Her house was full of praying mantis until mid-March. On the plus side, her house was bug and spider free for those months. So I have a vacuum sealed fake christmas tree to avoid unwanted visitors. Still, it was pretty funny.