real home cooking

Discussion in Misc & Others started by thomas pendrake • Dec 16, 2013.

1. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I grew up with genuine home cooking. Biscuits were made from flour ( Martha White or White Lilly), baking powder (unless you used self rising flour) , lard, and maybe buttermilk. Out of a tube is not home cooking. Soup seldom came out of a can. Home cooking takes a little effort but is generally cheaper and you can get really good quality. Of course there are modern short-cuts available and you may have some of those ideas. How do you get home cooking into your world? What do you need to know to help you with home cookng?

2. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that home cooking can often be much cheaper. I am lazy though, so I don't do a lot of cooking. When I do cook, I like to make a lot of soups and freeze a lot of it. When I make food in advance and freeze it, I usually have a whole month's worth of food already made. It is convenient. It saves a lot of time and money. It is something that I need to get more into the habit of doing.

3. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Get a vacuum sealer and your frozen stuff will be easy to store and keep. Look up sous vide cooking for a different way to do easy home cooking. Don't buy expensive equipment, use a crockpot to heat your vacuum sealed meals.

4. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    My mom was a homemaker (only). So, I was raised on home cooked meals. We rarely ate out.

I have followed in her footsteps. I am not used to eating lots of processed food and when I do, my stomach hurts.

It's also cheaper to make food from scratch (usually) than buy the same food cooked.

5. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I grew up on the same good old home cooking. I don't think I ever saw my mother cook anything out of a can or box she never did the frozen meals or anything like that. Everything she cooked was from scratch and home made and I loved it. I remember growing up I never wanted fast food I would prefer my mother's home cooking. Now that I have my own kids I try to give my children the same home cooking I got and I gotta say I have done pretty well! At least my kids think so any way. Lol

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I grew up that way too. I'm actually tired of looking up recipes and finding them full of ready made mixes and things. That's not a recipe! lol. And ready made food, isn't home cooking. Not to mention how unhealthy it all is. We make pretty much everything from scratch and the taste difference is out of this world. It's so worth it to know my family is healthier for it and I enjoy cooking for them and with them. It's a great way to bond.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Home cooking is rare at my home now cause my mom is elderly. In that case, I'd have to be the one to do the home cooking but I cannot cook as well as her. Also, I don't have the time. Anyway, though, bad cooking is an obstacle that can overcome and the end is well rewarding, not only for the wallet - but for the taste buds.

Oh, by the way, how can this obstacle be overcome? Well, lol, finances can force you to cook more at home and also the availability of free cooking ideas on the net, especially YouTube would be encouraging factors.

8. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Everything at my home is home cooked. Actually, we're used to it since childhood. Eating out or eating processed food has not been into practice even a few years back.
    However, during weekends we eat out at times, but that is either to celebrate some special occasions or to take a break from the tiresome regular routine of cooking.

9. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a really good cook so,I really wouldn't about home cooking unless I look it up. I starting cooking once I had my child but I only cook I think what are basic foods not really a great home cooked meal I yet to learn those plates. With the many shortcuts available I tend to gravitate to those instead with the little time I have a day but one day I would love to make a complete real home cooked meal.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well one thing you need to know about home cooking is how to buy fresh veggies and fruits and clean them well so you have then to cook and bake with. You'll probably have to go to the markets a lot more frequently for fresh never keeps well. Locally we have a problem of

which can kill if you don't wash your veggies that have the parasite on them and you eat the veggies. You'll need time to cook homemade meals from scratch too. I know homemade is delicious for my Grandma and Grandpa both cooked from scratch and I can remember how delicious it was. Foods have to be cooked very well, or you can get other dangerous diseases like

or

Recipes are easy to get from just a little research online. Good luck in total homemade food! We do cook homemade when we have the time to cook it. We love canned corn beef, onions and potatoes with our mixed rice of brown rice, lentil, barley and white rice.

11. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I love foods that are home made because there will be taste and love in that. I like to stick to the home made food especially the one prepared by my mom. :)

12. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I do a little home cooking myself and it makes you feel like you are a bit more grounded when you eat this way. They say that people that eat this way tend to be happy and more healthy as well,and you tend to eat less sugar and processed foods. Its good that you cook at least 5 days a week and this adds to a longer life also-and its a better way to socialize as well-and don't forget the wine.