Real lemons or lemon juice?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Mockingbird • Jan 3, 2015.

1. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I made Haddock for dinner, I had to run out to get a lemon and while in the store my son asked me a very good question, why buy lemon juice- the kind in the little plastic lemon- when you can buy the real lemon instead. In fact the cost of three lemons was about the same as the little plastic ones. I was curious, it seems the little plastic ones have a little extra ingredients. So do you buy the real lemon or the plastic lemon juices?

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I buy the real lemons. I have bought the lemon juice in the lemon container before though only because it was 'cute.' I believe it is concentrated which is why it has the 'umphf' in it. The lemon container is an eye catcher to draw customers to the producer's product rather than the competition's.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Real lemons, definitely. They are pretty cheap all year round, and freshly squeezed lemon juice tastes much better when used with cocktails or seasonings. Also you can use the zest of the lemon if the recipe calls for it.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think real lemons are the best, the convenience of the squeezy lemon is when you only need a small amount as that is more cost effective. Lemons have to be used up pretty fast and if you don't need them then they can go to waste. The best thing to do is squeeze it and keep the juice in that case.

5. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I usually go for real lemons, but you can buy lemon juice in bigger bottles- you don't have to buy it in the little plastic lemon. Lemon juice in the bigger bottles is actually more economical than buying the lemons, but I tend to prefer the lemons anyway- they make everything taste just a little fresher :)

6. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I like real lemons and right now, we have lemons growing in the yard so it's a no-brainer. When I'm not here and want something to be on hand, I buy true lemon powder packets, which are freeze dried lemon. They're long lasting and cheap and easy to use.

7. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Real lemon of course. What my mom always do is that she cuts tiny strips of lemon and she puts it on our water container so that the juices will mix with the water. They say that its a healthy way to start your day by drinking water with lemon juice because of the acidic property of lemons that destroys bacteria in our bodies. I'm not really sure if that's true but I've seen a lot of people who are doing the same thing and they look healthy hahaha.

8. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to go with real lemons all the way. I always found that real lemons just worked better. Even when make lemonade, using real lemons gives it a really great flavor, whereas using lemon juice will always have it coming out quite tart.