Real or artificial flowers?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Sweetkymom • May 7, 2014.

1. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to flowers and your mother, what kind of flower request does she put in? My mom is so big on real flowers and has such a green thumb that she's called us kids asking us to get her almost dead flowers so she can revive them. She's such a flower person and knows her stuff.

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well, can't really say much about that, but I prefer real flowers over plastic ones. Plastic ones, well they collect dust and dusting or cleaning them is a more pain in the butt rather than just having to throw a bunch of dead leaves and petals in the garbage.

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    As a man I much prefer to have NO flowers in my house, but if I HAVE to have some then I would much prefer to have artificial flowers, just because they won't die as I'm far too lazy to keep them alive, the ones in my garden just about get enough attention. :)

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Artificial flowers for me. You buy them once and forget about replacing them for a long time. When I buy flowers for someone though, I usually prefer buying real ones because I believe that most ladies like them real. It's a reminder, to them, that love is fragile and must be tended properly for it to bear fruit, etc., etc.

#4May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Real flowers! They are more expensive, true, but how can I gift a bunch of artificial flowers to someone? Flowers are a way of expressing your feelings and expressing that I feel cheap doesn't cut it :p There are instances where artificial flowers are the proper choice, like for home decoration. The only artificial thing I bought was a Christmas tree. The darn things are expensive so I save good money by not buying a new one each year. And I also get to save a tree!

6. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    My mom loves flowers and she prefers them real. We often give her flowers in pots or orchids in driftwood. In the past, when my dad was actively traveling for company meetings, he would always try to bring home potted flowers or live orchids. I think this is a wise idea for gift recipients with a green thumb. If they know how to grow and maintain a flower garden, they can even propagate the seedlings, which lengthens the life of the gift.

Most garden supply stores or plant nurseries sell flowering plants. These live potted flowers are even cheaper than those cut bouquets sold in malls and wrapped in fancy wrappers.

7. robinegg

robineggMember

Threads:
    Definitely real flowers! They can keep for a week or so in a vase. Also, if you purchase or pick small flowers, you can snip them off at the stem and put them to float in a glass or ceramic bowl full of water, and it is quite pretty and really brightens rooms, for example nightstands and dim corners.

As Athenagdlyt said, potted plants are a great alternative if you don't want the flowers "going to waste"! I like to put a bit more thought when I'm buying potted plants, like what is their favorite colour, what colours would go well with the general decor of their house, etc.

8. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I never understood the appeal of fake flowers, honestly. I think they always look artificial, and they just look odd compared to nice real flowers. There is this lady that lives down the street who has fake flowers in the flower beds in front of her house. It looks terrible, to be totally honest. Artificial flowers just will never compete to real ones. Yes, they are more expensive, but worth it.

9. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I only get flowers few times a year so I prefer receiving real flowers :D

I will look after and keep watering it until it starts dying. But I like plastic flowers for a decoration though. At least I don't have to ever replace it apart from having to always clean and wipe the dust away.

10. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely real, I have never bought artificial and don't plan to start. For me artificial flowers just don't cut it, they don't have any fragrance, can collect dust, some people are allergic to the rubber/plastic that are used to make them and to me lack the beauty of real flowers. Artificial flowers are less expensive but I would rather save for the real than settle for fake.

11. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I decorate with fake flowers, inside my home, and graves. I want to receive REAL flowers. My grandmother, bless her heart, put fake flowers outside, and I know people do. I haven't yet, nothing is to say I won't tho. But if the question is receiving, then yes, real flowers. :)

12. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer real flowers. Fake flowers are alright for stuff like easter but I much prefer real flowers, I think the fakes are tacky but to each his/her own.

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My mom hates artificial flowers. When there is one at home, she doesn't even bother to touch it, even to look at it, or even ask about it. But she's a big-goer for real flowers. When there are at home, it would surely be her task to arrange and take care for them, though they are not given to her. She really likes real flowers, they they later one wither.