Recently Vegetarian, Discovering All The Time

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DejiK • Feb 13, 2015.

1. DejiK

DejiKMember

Threads:
    I recently became a vegetarian. At first I really struggled with not eating meat, and finding new ways to replace the lost protein in my diet. Yesterday I made a thai green curry with cod and it was absolutely amazing! That's been happening a lot lately, discovering what works with what, its a really good experience and as a result my diet is great. Does anyone have any unusual combinations they discovered by accident?

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Uh isn't cod still considered meat? In any case tofu is an excellent alternative for vegetarians as it is really high in protein. Also if treated well it can have a firm consistency resembling burger patties, allowing for really delicious meals just like the real thing.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my case, instead of completely removing the meat from my diet, I eat it in small amounts together with all kinds of leafy green vegetables. I've since noticed that leaving meat out of the picture can make one feel so sluggish and you easily feel drained at the end of the day. On one hand, eating too much of it triggers constipation, fueling digestive problems. I only eat a necessary amount of meat but I also make sure I get to take in fiber-rich vegetables for a more balanced meal.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been vegetarian for over 20 years and you gradually find what you like and make your own combinations. I usually make my own sauces and gravy to go with my meals, for example I add tomato paste to my sauce to thicken it. There are plenty of soya and tofu substitutes you can use and you end up creating your own dishes.

5. DejiK

DejiKMember

Threads:
    Is cod considered meat????

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of tofu (though I'm not denying its usefulness). I lived in China for a few years and they eat a type of tofu they call 'stinky tofu', possibly the strongest smelling thing EVER. I could smell it from my apartment on the 27th floor, even if its being cooked 2 or 3 miles from where I am. I never got over that, and consequently I don't eat it.

I've also been looking into this thing known as textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), they say its equal to meat in protein content. I plan to buy and cook some this week, I'll be sure to let you know how it goes :)

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you feel sluggish taking meat out of your diet, the rest of your diet needs to be tweaked. I'm vegan and I've never felt better in my life :) Whole foods can be mixed and matched in way too many ways to list, but if you look online (my fave is Pinterest) you'll find so so many amazing ways to eat a vegetarian or vegan diet. Especially if you're still eating processed foods.. you can eat as you always have, just no meat, so it shouldn't be as tricky for you.