Recommend a coffee maker

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrowningGirl • Aug 31, 2012.

1. DrowningGirl

DrowningGirlMember

Threads:
    I'm switching from Keurig ro conventional and I was hoping someone could recommend a coffee pot to me. Do you think it matters if I purchase a used coffee pot at a thrift store or do you think the quality of the coffee will suffer for it? If I bought new, do you know of a good one? Should I buy basic or invest in something a little more expensive? I don't want to spend money on a coffee maker that will fail in a short period of time, so any recommendations are appreciated.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes the coffee makers at thrift stores are there because they don't work. You're taking a gamble on a machine that might or might not work.

You can buy a lower priced coffee maker or go for a higher end one with cool features.

On the low end, this Mr. Coffee was highly rated on Amazon and costs $20.

On the higher end, you have the Zojurushi Zutto (zutto means always in Japanese). The Zutto has a cone filter, a removable water reservoir that you can fill at the sink and is a well designed piece of technology, but it costs $70.

Either one of these would be better than wasting money on expensive single serve coffee pods.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always been happy with Cuisinart coffee makers, though I would avoid the one with the grinder built into it and recommend that you get a separate Cuisinart Burr Mill Grinder. It does make a noticeable difference in the coffee. Their coffee pots also come with a charcoal water filter that you're supposed to replace every month or so, but I leave that out since my water is already filtered. They're a little on the pricier side, but if you look for them around they holidays they usually drop the price on them by quite a bit.

For a less expensive route, you might also want to consider an electric percolator. I think Farberware makes one. The coffee comes out really rich in it, and it's easy to keep clean. Plus there's no need for paper filters with it.

4. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    I own an early version of the Cuisinart DGB-500 Grind & Brew Auto 12 Cup, and I absolutely love it. I can be a coffee snob, and when a guy like me gets a chance to try to authentic Jamaican Blue Mountain whole beans, the grind and brew feature is very nice. I can just as easily brew my Folgers, even in a 1-4 cup mode, and the machine is super easy to clean. I paid well over $100 on mine several years ago, but you can get the same thing now for around $75. If you are a serious coffee drinker, I would definitely give this one a look.

5. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Just curious - why are you switching from the Keurig? I use the Keurig and it's honestly the most used appliance in my kitchen, next to my slow cooker (and not counting pots and pans, of course). I use it for everything and have a variety of k-cups (coffee, apple cider, iced tea). But, I also have the My K-Cup, so I can use my own coffee - I have to admit that k-cups are a bit expensive sometimes. I also use the hot water regularly.