Recommendations For Reusable Ice Packs?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Diane Lane • Sep 1, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been using the same ice packs over the years, but some are worn out, and others still work, but the effects don't last as long as I'd like. I use ice packs for a variety of reasons, but in this case, I'm looking for ones I can use for painful muscle aches and migraines. I'd love to find some that I could use without towels, but those don't tend to last long, which means I'm constantly having to switch them out. The powder ice packs are this sort. The gel type ice packs seem to be the most effective to me, and I can use them with just a thin towel. Does anyone have a brand/type that they're happy with that would suit my needs?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    The only brand that immediately springs to mind that I think may suit all your requirements is this one

in fact if it were my friend writing this she would highly recommend them - as not only does she love the fact that - like you mentioned - she doesn't have to use a towel - but more importantly - as the flexible ice formula allows the pack to mold very efficiently to almost any part of the body and is held in place by a compression band - she gets better and faster relief - plus the packs refreeze incredibly rapidly and they give a 1 year warranty on all their products too.

3. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    The one that my work uses (we are a chiropractor office) is by a company called PolarPack or something...it's BPA free and it lasts for a LONG time without leaking issues. We've used that for the longest time and we haven't had any issues with it.

That, or you can always use a pack of frozen peas :p

4. Diane Lane

Threads:
    @gata montes@gata montes Thanks, those look very durable and perfect, but they're too costly for my current budget, unfortunately. I'm bookmarking them for the future, though.

Thanks, BPA free is always good @tangela@tangela. For some reason, the Amazon reviews do mention leaking, which would make a big mess. I've got those bookmarked, too, though. Frozen peas wouldn't work for me, since I have to use several packs at a time, and reuse them again and again. I need something that will last longer than 20 minutes, as well.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You should check out some of the videos on Youtube demonstrating this, but I've seen how you can actually make your own home made ice packs out of the absorbent powder in baby diapers. Basically you just cut open the diapers and pour out the contents of it into a bowl and add water. It will form into a semi translucent absorbent gel. You can even add a few drops of food coloring to make it more visible. Then just add this gel to a resealable bag and freeze it and it will work like an ice pack. It won't get rock solid, and should remain pliable like commercial ice packs. And since it's a gel, it shouldn't leak easily like water and ice would.

Some videos even show using this stuff in soil for potted plants, to keep them properly watered for days without having to worry about over watering them, since the gel will slowly feed them the proper amount of moisture and absorb any excess water.

6. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Hmm, that's something I'll have to look into @ohiotom76@ohiotom76. I do have a few that have some sort of powder in them, and they are nice and flexible, but they don't stay cold for long enough to suit my purposes. On my bad days, I've used up to 6 ice packs at a time, so I definitely need something somewhat affordable and flexible, and I can't keep having to get up to swap them out, because then I'd be dropping them right and left, which would be bothersome.

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    You should try the Magic Bag. It's great for both hot and cold. For cold you place it in your freezer for 4 hours and it's a great ice pack that moulds to your body. It's made of soft cotton material so it's comfortable on your skin and you don't need a towel. My husband likes to use it hot. All you have to do is microwave it for 3 minutes and it stays hot/warm for at least 10-15 minutes. We've had the same one for 10 years. They are made well so worth the initial investment.

8. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Thanks @purplepen88@purplepen88 I'll have to check out Magic Bag. I've never heard of it, which is surprising, since I have several different brands. I do sometimes use heat as well, so that's definitely something to consider. I like the idea of it molding to the body, which is one reason I usually use the gel packs. Cotton sounds good. I have heard that it's dangerous to use regular ice packs against the skin for an extended period without a towel, which is why I often use a thin towel, but it would be nice not to have to worry about doing that.

9. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Here's a link to buy them on Amazon. I hope it helps.