Recycling Sunflower Seeds

Discussion in Home & Garden started by junemoon • Apr 9, 2015.

1. junemoon

junemoonNew Member

Threads:
    Has anyone ever saved the seeds from their sunflowers, let them dry out and replant them? One year, I wondered, if this was really possible. So, I gave it a try and low and behold new sunflowers starting popping up!

I was so proud of myself for saving money, and the kids just loved how fast the sunflowers shoot up. It usually just takes about a week to see the sprouting action begin. Just make sure, you grab a stick or something to help prompt up the sunflower or can fall over easily.

2. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I do this every year. I love to grow sunflowers because they became a sort of food for the birds. Gold finches love them, and that was my main reason. Do you know that bird seeds that have sunflowers in them can also grow? I took a few from the bird seeds to experiment, and they grew :)

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sunflowers always make me happy, that's why I have been planting them for years. When I used to live in the country, I usually dedicated a large section of my garden to these delightful and nutritious plants. Things are a little different now since I live in the city, but I still manage to grow sunflowers in pots on my balcony and in my lounge room. :)

4. junemoon

junemoonNew Member

Threads:
    Oh, I did not know bird food had sunflowers in the mix. Now, this is a good way to save money! You can take a couple of these sunflower seeds from the bird seed, plant, and then you have a whole bunch of more sunflower seeds to feed the birds!

I, love, the fact that sunflowers can be grown in a container for balconies. They are an economical way to decorate the patio and look so pretty as reminder of the country life!

Anyone, ever tried the pro-cut version of sunflowers? They are just a touch more, but the petals do not fall off, as quickly. So, if you want to cut your sunflowers and place in a vase, this will save you money in the long run compared to buying at a florist.