Red emblem, red light

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by NatetheGrate • Oct 25, 2014.

1. NatetheGrate

NatetheGrateNew Member

Threads:
    Are you all kidding with this? When I see that 'As seen on TV logo, it's like a red light to me. I very quickly try to "Turn Around, Go Back" because it's obviously a marketing ploy probably meant to cover for a product that could not make it on its own.:(

2. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I know what you say. I've had the same feeling about it. Especially the products from the tele-shopping are "scams", but there are a few things that really works. I once bought a Smoothie Maker, I was really pleased with it. After 6 months it gone broke, but I think it was because the way I used it. Generally, when I see the "red light" like you, I turn around and go.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think for some people, it increases their perception of the brand itself. In other words, if the company can afford to advertise all over TV, they must be doing something right to achieve that level of success, as opposed to some random product from a company the individual has never heard of. For example, I've seen knock off products that are copycat Eggies in various dollar stores, but the original product are the Eggies themselves which would carry the As Seen On TV logo.

Although many of us are smart enough to know the quality of these products are often questionable, they still have a very sizable market of consumers. Some people absolutely love watching infomercials then hurrying up and buying the products to try them out for themselves. In other cases, people buy them as gag gifts for the camp factor (Shake Weight, Snuggies, anyone?). If you were to get some Snuggies as a gag gift, would you rather buy the original one with the ASOTV logo? Or a cheaper knockoff product? I think even with infomercial items, people are still brand conscious.