Reddit Gold ?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by hosewalker • Jul 14, 2015.

1. hosewalker

hosewalkerMember

Threads:
    I'm an avid Reddit user and I've been thinking about purchasing Reddit Gold for quite some time but I'm just not sure. For those of you who don't know Reddit Gold is a monthly subscription to the website Reddit that gives you extra features and services. The service is $3.99 a month which doesn't seem like a lot but it adds up over time. If anyone on this forum has Reddit Gold I would love to find out your opinion on the service, is it worth it ?.

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've just had a look and it seems as though this is something only a serious Redditor would be interested in. If you can afford it then go ahead but if it's not going to enhance your actual user experience or it might be a stretch financially then I'd give it a miss.

3. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I use Reddit too and while I don't think I'm as much of a user as you are, I don't really know if it is worth it. Sure, it'll be nice to get the extra services and the extra features, but I think ultimately it depends on whether you'll use those features or not. If you don't, it's still a waste of money.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Can you tell us a little bit more about the extra services and features? I'm guessing that not a lot of people here have it, and It's kind of hard for the rest of us to give an opinion without more information.

In general, I don't think this type of offer is worthwhile on most sites. It's usually just not a good value, so again, it depends on a lot of different variables. What kinds of things does it offer that sound good to you?

There are very, very few sites that I've seen that have anything I'd pay extra for, thus far.

5. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Just ask yourself if you're going to use the features. I bought the Reddit premium features, and the only notable thing I found it was the bolded name. But you don't see it bolded everywhere, it's just a few exclusivist categories. Generally, this extra feature they're trying to sell is solely intended to those who want to show off that they can spend money on the Internet. Do you want that?

6. Trex78

Trex78Member

Threads:
    Reddit Gold is a waste of time; it is the site owners just finding another way to milk more money out of the service. How do I know this? Take a look at the way a site like Reddit functions: it cannot afford to loose traffic due to users being inhibited on the site as a result of not subscribing to the pay service. If it makes itself only usable to people who are paying the $5 a month or whatnot, then traffic will go down. Less traffic is the toll of death to a site like Reddit on social media. Traffic is its lifeblood. So therefore, Reddit Gold is basically a service that gives trivial boons and meaningless perks ("special" avatars!) to people who like to waste money.

I mean, if you really, really, really like Reddit, and use it constantly, or are trying to use Reddit to make money or shill an idea or product, then hey maybe it's worth the $5 to you. But for most people, it's just not.

7. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    If you send Reddit headquarters a postcard, they'll gift you with gold!
    I don't think it's worth buying for yourself. It's better to "earn" gold by making a witty comment that someone else really likes. There's a huge difference between buying it for yourself and finding that your comment made someone feel generous enough to get you gold! If you want to help fund Reddit, buy gold for someone else! Make someone's day!

8. sissibombix

sissibombixMember

Threads:
    I don't think reddit gold is worth paying for. It was created mainly for reddit to make a profit when people offer «reddit things» to each other when they like their comments.
    The advantages aren't that great, you would be better instaling something like Reddit Enhancement Suite, or another reddit friendly application for your browser.

9. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    Is it really all that great? As sissibombix stated above, Reddit enhancement suite can do practically everything you'd ever need for reddit. It's free too, which is a huge upside.

10. AllAboutTheLincolns

AllAboutTheLincolnsMember

Threads:
    I use reddit frequently as well, and I'm not sure what the benefits of Gold would be other than showing support for the site and hanging out in the lounge. Even then, the site has gone through a number of changes and never seems to have a solid identity on what it wants to be. Of course, it's all up to your customization (I follow a number of fan forums, sports forums, and human rights watch forums as well), but I'd use caution before buying it.