Refurbished computer parts or new?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lrd913 • Oct 7, 2014.

1. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I need to fix the fan on my Macbook Pro. I have the directions and I know how to do it, I just need to purchase the parts. Have any of you done computer repairs before?

Would you suggest buying a refurbished fan from a good seller on eBay or Amazon (good ratings, shipping in United States, and positive reviews), or would you only buy a new part?

I don't want to buy a new part if I don't need to, but I also don't want to buy a refurbished part if it will be a problem.

Any help?

2. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    While refurbished parts usually have been fine (dad has worked on a lot of computers), the theory I always run with is that you never have to guess or worry about a new part coming on whether it will work or not. And if you're buying a new fan, I assume you don't want to have to replace it in another year if the refurbished part broke down for some reason.

Computers and computer parts are something you only invest in every couple of years, so it makes sense to me to spend extra money to get stuff you know will work and is top of the line.

3. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to parts I tend to not stick with refurbished. If you're planning on replacing them just temporarily then I think it's okay but don't expect them to be there for a while because they're refurbished and they could break even. But I think it would also depend on what kind of part, if it's a hard drive or RAM it would depend but as for me, if it's just temporary replacement then go for it.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I still prefer brand new ones. Even if sellers promise that refurbished ones are still good, I still don't trust them. I guess that it's better to be safe than sorry.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Refurbished would be OK IMO when you buy from someone you know or locally. I suppose you know why.

When buying refurbished parts online, you're taking a risk. What you get could work but there's no guarantee it will last long. It's better to avoid having to replace what you bought after a short time, get it new and save some money even though you'll be paying a little more initially.

6. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought refurbished parts only from the apple store. There they give a warranty for them. I've found that on ebay you don't get the same kind of gaurantee. You'll have to decide whether you'd like to get a good deal or a little it of warranty on your parts. It could really go either way.

7. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    Did you have to go to the store to buy them? I'd like to place an order online and get it shipped to my home. If I can order from Apple that would save me a major headache as I don't want to worry about the product I'm getting. Getting a warranty would be great.

8. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    If I want to replace an internal part of my computer, as long as it isn't falling apart I'll go for the refurbished. No point in buying something new if you can just get the same thing for half price. For things that I actually touch such as a keyboard or mouse though, I would go for the new stuff, just because the idea that someone has used it before is unsettling for me. To each their own I guess.

9. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    You can get refurbished devices/machines online at the apple store but i am not sure about parts. Take a look to see.

10. enell

enellMember

Threads:
    In my experience with Computers and Notebook Parts, Buying a refurbished part is not a problem specially when it comes to small parts! Put in mind that you get what you're paying for. In my opinion any refurbished part, would give you the same results of a new one, but will eventually fail you in short time of usage, you might have to buy the same refurbished part twice in one year which usually will cost you more than buying a new part that would last for more than 1 year according to usage! When it comes to Amazon and eBay, there are many offers for everything you might think of, an I suggest you just have to go with the one that you usually shop in the most.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if the item is cheap, then I will just go for the brand new one instead of the refurbished one because you can be certain that it will last as long as it's supposed to as compared to the refurbished one. But if the item is a bit expensive, I will probably go for the refurbished one especially if I'm on a budget.