Remake of ET

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by TuRon Davis • Sep 22, 2014.

1. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I was thinking about movies that could be re-made and one of the films I hear no one talk about is ET. I think this would probably be a best seller with all of the new age technology and so forth. What do you think of this movie being remade, or what movie would you like to see get remade?

2. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion ET would probably be ruined with today's technology. Some movies just shouldn't be remade, or they'll lose some of the allure that they had originally. I would rather see a new story about an alien chomping M&M's than a remake of the classic.

3. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I think it could be a good way to introduce the story to young kids these days. I myself am not that interested in seeing a remake. It has a specific 80's charm that would be lost in a new version. Same with a film like the Goonies.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Why? What's the point of remaking a classic? The movie is a masterpiece and the way I see it you only remake movies that are broken or have some really big issues that it doesn't do the movie justice or it makes the movie bad even though it has some serious potential. If you want to introduce the movie to the kids of this generation, why not let them watch the movie instead? It's not like it's lost forever.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some movies just shouldn't be re-made.

Maybe in the distant future when when there's something better than 3D, re-making the movie for the new format would be in order. Right now though, since there's not much they'll add to the movie except some fancy graphics, it would be better if they just let ET be.

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think there's a need for a remake. Sure kids of this generation may not like it because it looks old but that's not an excuse to remake the movie. I mean what can you possibly make out of a remake of ET? If it's going to just copy every scene and just replace ET with a better looking CG counterpart then I think it's a huge waste of time. And I don't think Spielberg would agree either.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never seen this movie, so I don't really have that much emotional investment in it a and therefore would probably enjoy seeing a remake. I hunk if they made it now they would have to change a lot of it to the point of it almost being I recognizable though, so I guess that's another reason why it could actually work. As for my own recommendation, I'd agree with the suggestion of one of our members in a similar thread which is Neverending Story. I think it would be great to see a remake of it now, and e only thing I'd really hate if they did make it would be that they would probably make it completely out of CGI.

8. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    After reading some of the comments and some reconsideration's, I have changed my mind about a possible remake. I think the original should remain exactly like it is. This is the type of movie that really doesn't need advanced technology to get the great story across. Like one of the comments said, some movies aren't meant for remake, and I now agree that this one is one of them.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, ET was one of my favorite movies back in the 80's. That was one of my joyous times as a child, watching that movie. Please don't let Hollywood ruin that nostalgia. Don't let them ruin ET with modern day CGI and green screens.