Removing tile stains?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by chiofthenorns • Sep 28, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    The tiles on the floor of our bathroom are stained. I have tried using those commercial tile cleaners that promise to remove stains but to no avail. I have also tried using baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. The stains are still there, and I don't have enough money yet to have the tiles removed and replaced. Do you have any suggestions on how I can clean bathroom tiles? Thanks!

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried bleach? I use bleach a lot but you have to let it stand. You can mix it with a little water so that it is not true strong. A lot of people just use white vinegar and water. I have heard of using lemon juice. Both are acidic so it breaks up stains. Some use toothbrush and some toothpaste, but this could be grainy so if you have a soft tile then you wouldn't want to use it for fear of scratching. I hate the look of stained tile myself, but have an older home so there are several spots I need to start working on. Thanks for the reminder!

3. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    We have white tile in all of our showers... no clue who decided on that one ! :( The only thing I have found that removes the stains is bleach. I use one of those bleach cleaners( I actually make it myself in a spray bottle) and I spray the entire shower and let it sit for a while. Make sure you turn the fan on high for ventilation!!! After about 20 minutes I go in and rinse down the shower and the stains are gone. :) I hope this works for you as well !!

Danyel :)

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The tiles in our bathroom are quite old and stained. I have never really bothered about trying to get rid of the stains, as they are deeply ingrained and I doubt that they will ever come out. I can live happily with the stains as long as the floor is clean. I usually make a mixture of baking soda with lemon juice to give the floor a good antibacterial cream cleanse, but the stains don't come off. I guess if we wanted to permanently get rid of them, we would have to get new tiles.