Renting a room to students

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Peninha • Mar 6, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My grandmother rented a room to students for many years and that was a great source of income for her. Apart from the income she enjoyed the company of a younger person, so it was win win for her. Would you consider renting a room to students to make some extra money?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely. I just posted a thread about the travellers I have been housing for a few years now. I have also had students staying with me from time to time, usually no longer than a couple of months. I enjoyed their company. Also it was nice to have a really quiet house for a change, as most of them would spend their time studying or sleeping.
    I really liked cooking meals with them, taking them with my car around the region and showing them some special places. But these days I prefer travellers as they pay me more. :)

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If I had the room, sure. It could potentially cause problems if the person wasn't respectful or honest, but I think most people who are renting single rooms off-campus aren't the ones looking for trouble usually either.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It doesn't have to be students. When I was younger my parents rented out a number of rooms to a medium. I didn't like the lady but she paid good money so well . . .

I think if you have that spare room, it's best to make it generate some extra $$$$ for you.

5. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes it depends with the students you are renting out to the room. Some can be hard to cooperate, they will never pay rent on time, always playing some loud music and can even steal from you. Unless you are sure that they will on their good behavior, I am not willing to rent out a room to students. I have been a student myself at once time it was something else.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Denis, students are easy to put up with and they don't stay for many years, what can be a problem. You are so right mike, my grandmother had a student that insisted in taking her boyfriend to the room, she was really abusive, so set the rules straight before admitting someone to your house, they are not renting an apartment!

7. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    This would only work for me if I had an area of the house that could be completely cut off from the rest of the house if necessary, such as a basement or above-garage space that had its own entrance and lock.

Otherwise, I'd be very choosy about the person I'd invite into my home and family as a renter. I've heard of several people who do this with missionaries, and it works out swimmingly. I've also heard of the rare occasion where something is worked out with a college student who lives and works as a nanny and housekeeper. I also think something like this would be great.

But I'd want to be able to offer the student his or her own space to retreat to, rather than being right in the thick of our family life. I'd also be curious to know how food and eating is divided. Does the student pay for room AND board?

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope, in my grandmothers case she rented the room and the student could use the kitchen and bathroom (of course :D), but it's pretty much a shared space, considering that it was my grandmother's house it's pretty much a mutual respect zone and you need to choose the right person. My grandmother always wanted to meet the student's parents. ;)

9. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    That can be a great source of income and in the case of your grandmother, she gets both company and maybe a little help around the house, depending on how nice the person renting the room is.
    Of course you have to be very careful who you let into your home, your grandmother's idea of meeting the parents is a great one IMO.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, that is true, it creates a more personal connection. Finally when she turned 80 she decided she didn't want no one else living in her house, I guess the time for her full privacy has come, it shouldn't be easy to live with someone you just met...

11. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, she did that until she was eighty?
    That's really impressive, I already can't put up with students, I can't imagine what it's like for a 79 year-old :)

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Students would be short time just during the semester, I think I would rent a room if I had the room. The money would be welcomed and the company.

13. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I have a relative that does this. She's been renting a room for students for a few years now and thus made a nice income on the side. She prefers mostly girls since boys tend to be noisy. Also, they must be non smoking and well behaved. She offers kitchen space, a separate fridge but things like the bathroom are used by both the her and the students she hosts. Bills are split as decided between the parties. This is a nice setup for the students too since the price of living like this is cheaper than the other options.

14. Nicole87

Nicole87Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I don't think I would be okay with that. I wouldn't like a stranger living my home. Besides, we barely have enough room for our own family.

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If we don't have room for ourselves and our family it doesn't make sense to consider it, but if we do have the spare space and the need for the money, why not? Just be careful if you're renting the place or paying it to the bank, you might have legal issues because of that.