Renting a Wedding Dress

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by radishes • Dec 2, 2013.

1. radishes

radishesMember

Threads:
    My friend is getting married and she's stuck in a dilemma. Should she rent her wedding dress or should she buy it? Weddings usually cost a lot and brides can save quite a bit of money renting their dresses. I personally think she should buy it because weddings are a huge life event! I think it's worth the extra money. What do you guys think?

2. Banister

BanisterMember

Threads:
    I can advice him to rent instead of buying. I don't personally see the point in buying a very expensive cloth for so many dollars that will be used within a period of less than 10 hours while I can rent it at a cheaper price and save the money for our life after the marriage. It always bothers me a lot when i hear people buy short-term products for so much while they can rent them. But as to me during marriage most people tend to get so much into fashion forget that there is another life after marriage that would need money.

3. radishes

radishesMember

Threads:
    That's a very good point Banister. She is definitely very distracted by the wedding- I doubt she has really thought about life after marriage! She could definitely spend that extra money on her honeymoon and bills. I guess I'm just really sentimental! She is currently still weighing out the pros and cons.

4. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I would say rent a dress, I don't understand why women would buy a dress that they will NEVER wear again!

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm hugely sentimental and even I would rent the dress. Actually, I'd go cheap and non traditional, because I don't understand the expensive weddings.. that way she can buy something nice AND keep it; but I'm not most women. I couldn't care less about traditional or showy weddings. My dress was insanely cheap, sweet and I have it packed away for god knows what reason lol.. I'll never wear it again, I don't have a daughter to give it to and my sons' future wives will have far different tastes lol. Pictures of the day are good enough for me. If she needs symbols to hang on to, she'll have a glaring symbol on her hand every day of her life .. not to mention the husband ;)

6. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    Definitely rent it. Buying your own made sense back when daughters would wear their mothers dresses, but spending all that money on something that will be worn for just a few hours is wasteful.

7. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    Truthfully, I am going to go to the Goodwill and other Thrift shops to find my wedding dress. I want to keep it, so I can remember and pass it down. There are a lot of GREAT CHEAP wedding dresses at second hand stores just waiting to be discovered. It might take awhile to find the right one. If it doesn't fit quite right, you can get it altered cheaply. Well, that is my plan at least.

8. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I'm going against what the majority of the people here are saying, but I personally would buy my wedding dress. Memories are precious. I would love to have that wedding dress to look at and be reminded of my wedding day. Of course, the memories are going to be in your head and in pictures, but I just think it would be nice to have a pretty wedding dress to look at from time to time. You can find wedding dresses for relatively cheap if you look around long and hard enough.

Check out this website. This is where I will be ordering my wedding dress from. Not sure of the quality, but I've bought other clothing items from the site and have not been disappointed. Their prices are amazing. You can always take the wedding dress somewhere for minor adjustments.

9. radishes

radishesMember

Threads:
    Wow. Gadgetdealers.com is so cheap! What are the shipping costs? This is pretty amazing, I'm definitely recommending the site to her. Finding a dress at a thrift store seems like it might take a long time and a whole lot of patience. She's getting married in a month so I'll keep my eye out.

10. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    If I'm going to get married someday, I'd probably won't rent my wedding gown because I want it to be like an heirloom that I could pass to my future daughter when she gets married. But renting one is not a bad idea at all especially if you want to be practical.