Repairing instead of buying a new one?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by beccagreen • Aug 19, 2014.

1. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy a lot of cheap earphones that break after a few months of use so I end up with a lot of broken earphones in my stash of broken things. The other day I found a soldering iron in my garage and I thought maybe I'd take some time to use it and I started repairing some of my broken earphones, needless to say it was pretty easy work save for the soldering since I have very shaky hands. And this lead me to think that instead of buying a new pair every time, I can just try and repair it.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Anything that can be repurposed, repaired or fixed in anyway to keep me from spending money should be done first. Then if there is no hope for the item or it is beyond my skill level I will replace it. Recently our washing machine stopped pumping out the water, we are a house of women so of course what to do was the first question. Thank God for Youtube, there were several videos explaining how to repair what was ailing the washing machine. My daughter purchased the parts needed and repaired the washing machine. No repair bill, the parts cost about $10.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually choose to just buy a new item rather than to try and repaid it because I try and give more value to my time than money as much as possible. However, if the item is expensive or hard to find then I would most likely spend a bit more time and effort trying to fix it first before giving up on it completely and just buying a new one. Most of the time I'd much rather just pay for a new one though.

4. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    I always try to repair broken things before I buy new ones. They are useless while broken anyway, why not try and repair them instead of throwing them in the garbage? I've never tired repairing earphones before, but I've recently watched a tutorial on it and it frankly doesn't seem that hard at all! Anyone could do it, you just need a soldering iron and a spare part that is incredibly cheap. I urge everyone to just try and repair things before throwing them away. Be economical and ecological!

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always try to fix things before buying new ones. Youtube has been a lifesaver when it comes to figuring out how to fix minor computer problems and troubleshoot my refrigerator.

6. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on what is less expensive. I always research on Google and YouTube first to see if it is an easy fix that I can do myself. It it is going to be too time consuming, then I will just buy a new item. Time is also a very valuable commodity that should not be wasted. Also, sometimes the cost of repairing something is more than just buying a new one.

7. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I brought a nice rusty road bike more than a month ago for $20 bucks. I sent it to the bike shop for repairs - I do not have the tools for the job, so it was my only option - and now it looks great. I made minor adjustments and I get complimented on it a lot. I have a buyer and I am making a profit, it feels great!

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you know a lot about how to repair an item, it is definitely better but if it takes too long to figure it out then it may be better to just get a new one. It is up to the person to figure out whether they'd rather lose time or money. Often times an item can't be repaired and we need a professional which is usually not much less than the new item.

9. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I have never repaired anything in my life yet. I always buy good quality products as this is proven to be the best time saver. But when things do breakdown in our household, I always ask my husband if he could do anything tho fix it. More often than not, he makes things work again. He is quite a handyman. There are limits to his capabilities though and for good measure. He does not tinker with huge appliances and leave those to the experts.

10. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on the device that's broken. If it's as simple as a pair of earphones then I would try and repair it but if it's more complex than that then I would just pay a professional to do it rather than me causing more problems by attempting a repair.

11. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    This is something that really irks me. The way that corporations have pushed towards everything being basically disposable sooner or later just sickens me. othing gets made in the USA anymore. But there was a time when we did make things, and those things lasted. You still see stoves from the 50's that work great. Or old fans, toasters...just anything you can think. We used to make things to last a lifetime and we would fix them if they broke. But now we just throw everything away and buy a new one. You still see cars from the 20's and 30's on the road. Do you think in 80 or 90 years from now, you will see a car from the 00's or 10's on the road? No, you barely see cars from the 90's around anymore.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will repair it first if I can do it, but if not then I will just buy a new one. I actually have a number of earphones in here that are broken and I want to try to repair them as well, although I still don't know how and I don't have a soldering iron.

13. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    If I can repair something myself, I do. If not, then I replace it. However, my goal is always to get a quality product for less. This feat is hard to do at times without a lot of effort. You also usually need a great deal along with a coupon.

14. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly! I feel that most of the things we buy, especially electronic devices are just made to break easily so that we can buy more and more. I just realized this when I repaired a pair of earphones of mine and I noticed that the wires aren't soldered properly and a gentle yank on the wires will pull the thing off clean.

You troubleshoot your fridge? Wow, I can barely fix the light bulb on the damn thing when it broke. I agree, Youtube and the whole internet has been a great help for those people who wanted to DIY things. The internet is really a life and money saver, you can find almost everything and there's bound to be one with a video tutorial ready to be played.

15. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what I break. If it is something big that is going to cost me a pretty penny I will try my best to fix it. If it is just something small that will cost a few dollars I will not worry about it.

16. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I used to outright buy a replacement too but I realized that I've no place to dump the old one so I have resorted to have them repaired too. The difference is I don't repair it myself, instead I send the item into its factory to get it repaired. I was quite surprised to find how economical it is to send the damaged item back to their manufacturer for repairs.

17. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if it makes a difference where it is made but you are right that things seem to break so easily these days. Earbuds/earphones are probably the worst culprit. It seems like I have to replace mine at least once every two months. The ones that came with my Iphone are the first pair that have lasted a while.

18. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I repair first but only if it involves sewing or basic carpentry work. My husband on the other hand loves to tinker with electronics and electrical equipment/gadgets. He's really good at it especially with computers and cellphones, even some of our neighbors go to him for laptop repairs. :)

#18Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  19. rgrimes

rgrimesNew Member

Threads:
    I would definitely try and repair something if my PC is broken. It could be just a modular problem and the fix to it would just be replacing the PSU or something. However I would rather spending money on something like a TV if the screen is broken, as it would be very time consuming to try and fix it.