Replacing Favorite Magazines With Free Alternatives?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Aug 24, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Magazine subscriptions can' be costly but thanks to the net, you can get information about anything you like free. Unless you are a collector, you can find similar content to what you like online, and it won't cost you a cent.

There are thousands of free magazines on the net. And if you would be interested there are thousands of old magazines [uploaded as pdf files] which you can download.

Yes there'll be a difference [re: the quality of writing for example] but you can adjust and even get to like these free alternatives.

Don't where to look? You could start here:

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't read as many magazines as before, but in some areas where there is no wi-fi magazines are necessary. These days I can't get around to reading all I want to on the internet, but some people still prefer magazines.

I know libraries get rid of magazines after a year and you can pick them up for free which I have done. That's a good way of getting them free, and for cookery magazines it doesn't matter about the date.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no time to read magazines anymore, but if I wanted to know about something I just google it on the net. Nowadays I think magazines are not practical and a space hog if you have many of them, considering that most of them can be read online as well.

4. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest I have almost entirely replaced both magazines and newspapers with the internet. The news that is available on line is rapid and just as in depth if not more so. Magazine tend to be horribly sexist, stereotyped and focus on only the most mainstream interests, or be ridiculously narrow in focus. Blogs are available at every level ad on every topic and with every point of view. There was a time than the internet was amateurish and untrustworthy but now I think it is the dominant news ad entertainment medium.

I do occasionally buy magazines and newspapers to read on an airplane or as a special treat. There are a few that I still enjoy although I find them rather expensive.

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Let me tell you something; I was reluctant to come online ever. I thought that paying for this service was kind of useless because I had it all; software coming free with my PC Magazine subscription, latest fashion trends through Vogue and other magazines, and even a little of science, household tips, touching stories and more via Reader's Digest Magazine, not to mention the many newspapers and other publications I was subscribed to.

However, one day I was stuck at a game, needing the clue to get into the next level, clue that wasn't found in any of the many Games-related magazines I bought for. This was the breaking point pushing me to get Internet "just for a month" go find the hint I needed, after someone told me the web was the place to find it.

Yes, I found the hint, but also found that I could save loads of money accessing for free all those magazines and newspapers online.

Today, I don't care the quality of a print magazine/newspaper and, since I have not paid for any of them for the past 15 years, I wouldn't do it now. Paper usually ends up in the trash or being sold at the recycling center for a really small fraction of their price, so not really a good deal.